JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Ultrasounds, screenings, and other tests (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2244253-ultrasounds-screenings-and-other-tests.html)

Twinkle February 9th, 2011 11:27 AM

Ultrasounds, screenings, and other tests

What sorts of testing does your m/w offer in the office? What sort of testing will you have done this pregnancy?

Is there anything you are opposed to?

navywifey2003 February 9th, 2011 11:55 AM

Re: Ultrasounds, screenings, and other tests

Every test we discuss and decide if its something we should/want to do. The main thing of her practice is about personal choice. We are not doing the NT test or the AFP. Not sure what other tests we are not doing at this point. :)

bre4thewin February 9th, 2011 01:25 PM

Ive had 2 ultrasounds. 1 the 20 weeks anatomy and another to look at the heart since my brother has a heart condition. I didnt want the GD test, i just tested my own sugars since i was "Diagnosed" last pregnancy. Not sure about the GB test, but im sure we will be swabbing. Got your normal blood work in her office.

mommybugnbugga February 9th, 2011 06:27 PM

I have had one ultrasound due to some bleeding. But other than that and the 20 week anatomy scan, I won't be having really any testing done at all. I will ahve the group b but other than that, no reason to ahve the other testing done.

HappyHippy February 9th, 2011 06:42 PM

I do the peeing in the stick at each appointment, the initial blood work, the hemoglobin, and 1 ultrasound around 20 weeks.

lrowe70 February 9th, 2011 09:20 PM

Honestly I'm not sure what all the tests are. She does explain everything, but I stink at paying attention. :D I let my husband do that.

There was a form we signed where we refused about 10 different tests(mostly for genetic disorders) and she required I get tested for STDs and HIV. I also had to do a dating ultrasound because my cycles were really irregular.

HippyMomOf4 February 10th, 2011 09:19 AM

I did an early u/s for my peace of mind, the labs, 20 week u/s and ill do the glucose test at my next appt. I'm undecided on group b, we didn't do the NT or afp. We also decided to not to the eye goop at birth.

Twinkle February 10th, 2011 01:25 PM

With my last pregnancy, we did a early scan because of my previous loss, I needed it for a piece of mind. We did some blood work as well in the beginning. We also did the 20 week scan and a the GBS test. My midwives urge their clients to do the GD screening because they had an issue with a transfer once where the mom hadn't been GD screened and was pretty much forced into a c/s because of presumed GD. My midwives allow you to make your own choices, but they warn that in the case of a transfer that a c/s might be imminent if your GD status isn't on the chart.

Martha83 February 10th, 2011 01:55 PM

we did two U/S (both by MY choice)...the initial blood tests...and we'll do the gestational diabetes test, because they do it in a NORMAL way (no glucola to drink...we just eat a normal breakfast and an hour later get a prick on the finger that they do in office..at which time they also test my iron)....I would refuse it if it were done any other way. Then I also get the GB testing done...I was going to decline this one on my last pregnancy but my midwife said that in case of transfer they will assume I'm positive if I dont have a test on file...I didn't want to risk antibiotics being used on me when I didn't want them...just because I didn't want an uncomfortable swab test....so we went with it....didn't need a transfer but that was one extra thing I didn't have to worry about you know....

at the one week checkup we did the PKU testing for the baby....and we also do the Vit K (oral only) otherwise we decline everythign else.

WendyBird February 22nd, 2011 12:42 PM

My MW told me that I can chose to do whatever I want, and refuse whatever I want. She doesn't care. The only thing she requires are the blood type and RH factor testing.