JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Needin' a little help... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2251313-needin-little-help.html)

hippie hugs February 16th, 2011 09:24 PM

Needin' a little help...

As of today, I am eight wonderful weeks, and four days.

Presently, I am seeing an OB, though will be moving in June/July to a new state, thus leaving my good doctor behind.

I've been contemplating a midwife. I've done a great deal of research, have read the boards and posts on this site (what interesting stories you fine ladies have!) and still feel a little ... Questionable.

The idea of having a baby at home is absolutely beautiful. Being able to be in the comfort of my own space, with my family around and no strangers in sight, the absence of the smell of bleach, sterile floors, crying, ticking/dinging of machines... It's almost a dream come true.

As far as I know, I'm a low-risk pregnancy - though I guess I don't know what qualifies a woman to be high-risk. I suppose more than anything, I just want to hear more stories, more benefits and perks, and so on from you lovely people.

Our "fence" item is the fact we'll be an hour and a half outside of any major city, thus putting us far away from the hospital in case we needed it. Is that too far? Is that unsafe? I know there's the option of a Birthing Center but again, a home birth would be absolutely amazing...

Your thoughts?

HappyHippy February 17th, 2011 09:07 AM

Re: Needin' a little help...

So you're an hour and half away from any hospital, even a rural one?

hippie hugs February 17th, 2011 10:43 AM

My search last night didn't pull up any rural hospitals, but I did think it odd considering one of the cities nearby is a huge tourist attraction. And you would think the community would have a hospital. But! When I searched again, I did find a hospital!

It's 32 minutes away from where I'll be. :) Much closer than the larger hospital in the congested, major city.

Is that still a safe distance? (I see you're an educator of many sorts! Glad to have someone to ask these potentially silly questions to.)

lrowe70 February 19th, 2011 09:53 PM

Personally I don't see a problem with 32 minutes away, I'm no expert of course, but it wouldn't deter me from a homebirth. 90 minutes wouldn't deter me actually. We're 15-25 minutes from our chosen hospital, but actually our midwife lives almost 90 minutes from our home.
For me personally distance to hospital had nothing to do with my decision to home birth-since I have no intention of going there!

You may want to meet with a midwife and bring the question to her. With her being right in the area, she would have the most useful advice for you. She can give you details and facts on situations where women had to be transported.

Good luck on finding the best birthing option for your family. Oh and don't feel silly asking questions here, that's what the board is for. :)

hippie hugs February 21st, 2011 11:38 AM

:) I try to have the same stand. If I'm going to have my little cupcake at home - which I am - then I won't need the intervention of a hospital. But my husband (who's a little uneasy about the idea of a baby at home) feels more secure knowing that if something did go wrong, then there's always the availability of a hospital - despite the fact I've told him that a midwife is a trained professional who can handle most complications.

I look forward to interviewing local midwives after we move. It's a few months away still, but I feel that I will enjoy their treatment so much more than what I've experienced here. Plus, from what I've read on this board, the experience sounds remarkable.

Thank you for your input! :) I'll make sure to share this news with my husband. I really feel a home birth is right for me.

Twinkle February 21st, 2011 12:25 PM

Congrats and welcome! I don't think that 32 miles would be too far for me either... I hope you are able to find some nice midwives when you move. Please keep us posted!

Earthy.Mama February 21st, 2011 07:18 PM

1. Love the username.
2. I'd do a homebirth too :)
3. Congratz!

hippie hugs February 21st, 2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinkle (Post 23128623)
Congrats and welcome! I don't think that 32 miles would be too far for me either... I hope you are able to find some nice midwives when you move. Please keep us posted!

Thank you! :) I certainly will! I've been researching the midwives in the area of where we'll live and have found a few promising women. Hopefully they'll have a slot available for lil ol' me.

I really hope my DH is also comforted by the idea of a hospital being near.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama2Loves (Post 23132837)
1. Love the username.
2. I'd do a homebirth too :)
3. Congratz!

Haha, thanks! :) Hippie hugs are one of many things I hope to pass on to my children. The idea of a home birth is super exciting for me, where-as the idea of a hospital birth kind of makes my blood run cold. It just feels like bad mojo. And thank you!