JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Quick labors (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2257337-quick-labors.html)

Twinkle February 23rd, 2011 11:24 AM

Quick labors

Do you have a history of quick labors? Are you nervous at all about your midwife not making it to the birth?

navywifey2003 February 23rd, 2011 11:31 AM

Re: Quick labors

From the time my water broke to the time Katelynn was born was 4 hours total. It was quick fast and intense. My midwife made a note in my chart about my fast labor with Katelynn. She also made a note that I went from 3-10cm in about 15 minutes. So I am not sure if being in my own surroundings would make me go faster added to the family history of fast labors Im a little worried but not to much.

HippyMomOf4 February 23rd, 2011 12:03 PM

I had a short labor with my dd2. But long with both my others, I'm hoping because ill be at home it will be faster but not too fast it would have been fast with my son but he got stuck kinda and it took 5 hours to push him out because of a LOP presentation. Had he been normal It would have been short

Kelllilee February 23rd, 2011 12:19 PM

I tend to have a short transition that gets shorter with each birth. And I tend to wait until pretty far into labor before deciding to call anyone. But they haven't been so fast that I've worried about the midwife making it, except when I was considering a midwife who lived 1.5 hours away.

mommybugnbugga February 23rd, 2011 02:15 PM

I have kind of fast labors. With my dd, from the time my water was broke until she was born was about 4 hours and for my ds from water breaking until birth was less than 2 hours. I am not overly concerned with my midwife making it because she lives about 45 minutes - an hour away, BUT her assistant lives 15 minutes from me and will be here almost immediately. She is a RN training to be a midwife, so she will get here to asess me before my midwife shows up :)

Quantum_Leap February 24th, 2011 01:53 AM

My first labor was 3 1/2 hours from start to finish (although honestly, it could have started before that and I just didn't know it -- I woke up at 4:00 AM, and Charlie was born at 7:20 AM). I don't know whether that was typical for me or whether this second one will take longer. But I do know that my mom's labor with my younger brother was precipitous (about 45 minutes total), so maybe this runs in our family.

I'm not worried about the midwives making it. They're only half an hour away, and honestly, even if they didn't make it on time, I think I'd be okay. I need them more for postpartum care than anything else.

Martha83 February 24th, 2011 06:44 PM

Nah...I have fast induced labors (Gretchen's was 1.5 hours long) and I was worried with olive that she'd be the same way...I was worried that we'd not make it to the center in time so we ended up spending the ENTIRE labor there instead of laboring some at home....she ended up with an 18 hour labor...about 15 of that at the center....so this time I'll wait until later to call the midwives.

CameraLinds February 28th, 2011 04:19 PM

first baby & homebirth was 26 hours
second baby & homebirth was 6.5 hours. with 6 minutes from water breaking to DS2 being born. if we didn't call the MW when we did she wouldnt have made it- she was here for 20 minutes. BUt we weren't worried if she made it or didn't.

andi2284 February 28th, 2011 06:08 PM

I'm not too worried about my midwife making it, but I don't want to hesitate to call her either. I waited 3 hours to call the birth center last time to be sure I was in labor, and my labor was only 6 hours. Not super fast, but she was posterior and my labor stalled at one point, so I'm not sure if it would have been shorter if she had been in the right position. I've heard with home births a woman's labor might go faster because she feels comfortable and relaxed. I'm hoping for 3-4 hours, so it's fast but not too fast.

sharita March 5th, 2011 04:53 PM

I have really long drawn out prodromal labors for a week or even two before I actually go into labor. I think it is because of this, I have super fast "actual" labors. I had it bad last time and then when they started, two hours later he was here. My fastest part is transition. Even from my second, I would go from 6 or 7 to 10 in like 2 minutes. As long as I call the moment I know its the real thing, and don't wait until it gets serious, she should be able to make it in time. By the time it starts picking up and i cant walk through them, it happens so fast. Not worried though.