JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Vitamin K (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2265678-vitamin-k.html)

PinkFireFly March 4th, 2011 12:52 AM

Vitamin K

How did you do this?

Did your midwife give your babe vitamin k or did you take supplements and give to babe naturally through breastfeeding or Did the not get it at all??

Martha83 March 4th, 2011 07:37 AM

Re: Vitamin K

We chose to do oral vit K with Olive and will do the same with this baby. The midwife had the oral drops and did them at birth, 1 week, and 2 weeks I believe

mommybugnbugga March 4th, 2011 08:41 AM

We have opted for the midwife to give them to the baby. She said about my 32 week appointment we will go over the options she has for the Vit. K and we can choose which way we want to give it to the baby.

HippyMomOf4 March 4th, 2011 09:46 AM

We are choosing to give vit k not sure how she gives it but I'm sure ill find out

HappyHippy March 4th, 2011 11:11 AM

We declined Vitamin K. My MW carries both the injection and oral in case the baby comes out scratched, bruised, or has a traumatic birth.

bre4thewin March 4th, 2011 05:44 PM

Declined the Vit K. We are delayed cord clamping, so that deffinatly helps with clotting, and the Vit K is such a high dosage for a little one im just not comfy with it.

Kelllilee March 5th, 2011 08:21 AM

We opted for Vit K drops/supplements for me for a few weeks before birth and a few weeks after birth.

andi2284 March 5th, 2011 09:17 AM

We opted out last time and will probably again this time unless I feel there is a reason to give it to the baby. In that case, I will take a supplement myself if I can.

Twinkle March 7th, 2011 05:15 PM

Paul and Kate both got vitamin K because of their births. Paul was born at 37 weeks and had some bruising, so we felt it was best to give him vit K. Kate was born late and had some breathing difficulties and needed oxygen, therefore my midwives felt she needed it as well.

cheezpoofs March 8th, 2011 08:57 AM

We don't do the newborn Vitamin K. We believe that babies have a low level of Vitamin K for some reason and it doesn't need to be messed with.

lrowe70 March 15th, 2011 07:38 PM

Hummm...this is an area I haven't researched. Can anyone give some information on the pros/cons of Vit. K?

cheezpoofs March 22nd, 2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrowe70 (Post 23359106)
Hummm...this is an area I haven't researched. Can anyone give some information on the pros/cons of Vit. K?

Here is a thread currently going on at Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com about Vitamin K injections and has some good info on the risks and benefits: Why no vit. K at birth? - Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com .