JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Group B Strep tests (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2285856-group-b-strep-tests.html)

Twinkle March 25th, 2011 10:16 AM

Group B Strep tests

Is this a test you will do? Do you do it yourself or does your m/w do it? What is your m/w's protocol if you test positive?

Martha83 March 25th, 2011 02:50 PM

Re: Group B Strep tests

This is one test I'd really give up if I could. BUT in my last pregnancy in which I used a midwife...I was told that if I were to have to transfer to the hospital THEY would consider me positive if I didn't have a neg. test result on file....so I tolerated it just for that reason...the "just in case transfer"...

So yeah...I'll be doing that this time again "just in case"....I've never had a positive result before. If I do have one....I'll pump up on garlic or something...I think those types of things are standard protocol for the positive tests...just natural things to keep "infection" down. Not sure...I'd have to ask really lol

HippyMomOf4 March 26th, 2011 07:40 AM

Ill be doing it at my home visit. Just to be safe

HappyHippy March 26th, 2011 09:34 AM

I didn't do it with ds2. But any future babies I will do it through the local clinic. If I'm positive I'll take the oral antibiotics and then re-test closer to my EDD. If I'm positive still then I'll have antibiotics during my home birth. I will try to find a Pediatrician who will make a home visit shortly after birth to make sure baby has not been infected.

pink_piggy March 26th, 2011 08:29 PM

I will not be doing it. I asked my mw and she says she does not perform this test. My memory is shot these days, but I think she was saying something about the research she had done showed such a teeny tiny risk of mom transferring gbs to baby and the antibiotics not really being beneficial. I know I posted about it in another thread :lol: I should prob go look it up to remember what she said correctly :rolleyes: :P

GranolaMamaOf3 March 28th, 2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha83 (Post 23456300)
This is one test I'd really give up if I could. BUT in my last pregnancy in which I used a midwife...I was told that if I were to have to transfer to the hospital THEY would consider me positive if I didn't have a neg. test result on file....so I tolerated it just for that reason...the "just in case transfer"...

:ditto:My MW did it at my 36 week home visit. Had it come back positive (which it didn't) we wouldn't have changed much, if anything... I know she said she would do less vaginal exams, especially if my water had broken, but it never brakes until baby is crowning, and she only ever checked me twice anyway. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaBee (Post 23461707)
I didn't do it with ds2. But any future babies I will do it through the local clinic. If I'm positive I'll take the oral antibiotics and then re-test closer to my EDD. If I'm positive still then I'll have antibiotics during my home birth. I will try to find a Pediatrician who will make a home visit shortly after birth to make sure baby has not been infected.

Have you had a bad experience?

cheezpoofs March 29th, 2011 11:12 AM

I did test for it, but only for the "in case of transfer" reason too. My midwife does not treat it even if positive. I think she said that midwives had found that there was as much success with treating it as not and many babies born to GBS+ mothers do not get the infection themselves, so there was no real benefit to treating with antibiotics during labor anyway.

bre4thewin March 30th, 2011 05:23 AM

i did it. swabbed myself. My midwife treats it with a wash or scrub.

Effervescence April 3rd, 2011 10:27 AM

I took it with Eve for the same reasons as Martha. I didn't want my baby to get antibiotics unnecessarily if we ended up needing to go to the hospital. My midwife is very adament about mothers doing most everything themselves, she says it's the mother's birth so the mother does what she needs to do. So I swabbed myself. I was positive, so she told me to eat lots of garlic and yogurt, which I did- DH LOVED the way I smelled LOL- and the next visit I swabbed again and it came back negative. If the second swab came back positive, I would have been given a wash to use during labor. My midwife had a lot of literature on the testing of the wash that showed it to be just as effective as an antibiotic.