JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Hosting a home birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2293677-hosting-home-birth.html)

MaggieLizer April 3rd, 2011 05:51 PM

Hosting a home birth

Hi! I am years away from having my next child but I think I would really like to consider a home birth next time. I don't think it's very likely but it might not be impossible. There may be some direct entry midwives where we will be living but I highly doubt it and I probably wouldn't be comfortable with a home birth unless I had a CNM since they are technically the only ones who could legally attend a birth in my state. I could go right across the river to IN and I do know of at least one home birth CNM there.

My question is, have you ever heard of anyone "hosting" a home birth for someone else - maybe even someone they didn't know? I don't think I would really mind if it wasn't my home but I don't have any relatives or friends who live in the CNM's service area (not any whose homes I would want to birth at anyway). I am thinking of (when the time comes, again, several years from now) getting in touch with that midwife and the birth network in that area and maybe I could figure something out, but I don't really want to ask complete strangers if I could birth at their home, KWIM? If you were able to help someone have a home birth who otherwise might not be able to, would you consider it?

SillyKitty April 3rd, 2011 07:34 PM

Re: Hosting a home birth

Hmm, not sure if I would do that except for a close friend. If you were to want to go with a home birth route, in your case you might be better off with a free standing birth center. The one where I delivered my second daughter was in an old victorian house that felt just like home. If you have to travel away from your own home, anyway, a freestanding birth center would be pretty much the same great environment, minus the factor of potentially disturbing a friend/family member's family life for a day or two.

MaggieLizer April 3rd, 2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyKitty (Post 23536163)
Hmm, not sure if I would do that except for a close friend. If you were to want to go with a home birth route, in your case you might be better off with a free standing birth center. The one where I delivered my second daughter was in an old victorian house that felt just like home. If you have to travel away from your own home, anyway, a freestanding birth center would be pretty much the same great environment, minus the factor of potentially disturbing a friend/family member's family life for a day or two.

I would love to go to a birth center. I think that would be ideal for me but the closest one is at least 3 hours away and that just wouldn't work out. I really wish there was something closer. If home birth isn't an option I think my next best option would be to drive an hour away for midwifery care and to deliver in a more NCB-friendly hospital.

Edited: I actually just saw that both the birth centers in Indianapolis are closing, so the closest one to me would probably be The Farm, which is about 5 hours away, I think. Although I would love to give birth on The Farm I'm pretty sure that won't be an option.

Quantum_Leap April 3rd, 2011 10:06 PM

I am having a homebirth at my mom's house this summer (since DH and I don't live in the U.S.). She's comfortable letting us use her home, but I think unless it was an extremely close relationship like that, it might be kind of awkward.

If there are no birth centers near you, you could always go to a nice hotel room for the birth. I think that there's another member on this board who is planning to do that.

MaggieLizer April 4th, 2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brui77 (Post 23536906)
I am having a homebirth at my mom's house this summer (since DH and I don't live in the U.S.). She's comfortable letting us use her home, but I think unless it was an extremely close relationship like that, it might be kind of awkward.

If there are no birth centers near you, you could always go to a nice hotel room for the birth. I think that there's another member on this board who is planning to do that.

That's a great idea! I may have to consider that!

HappyHippy April 4th, 2011 07:27 AM

Yes I have heard of it. I've heard of it happening a few times and one of the times was at a total strangers house (I believe it was a friend of the MW's). When you live in a state where non-CNM MW's are illegal it doesnt' mean that any DEM there would be untrained. You could try to see if there is a DEM there that is certified and went to school to be trained but is considered a DEM there only because it's illegal.

MaggieLizer April 4th, 2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaBee (Post 23538778)
Yes I have heard of it. I've heard of it happening a few times and one of the times was at a total strangers house (I believe it was a friend of the MW's). When you live in a state where non-CNM MW's are illegal it doesnt' mean that any DEM there would be untrained. You could try to see if there is a DEM there that is certified and went to school to be trained but is considered a DEM there only because it's illegal.

As far as I can tell from what I've found online there aren't any in the area. I suppose it's possible that there are some that just aren't advertised or listed anywhere but I doubt I would find one. And I just don't know that I would be comfortable with having a DEM home birth at my home because of the possibility of an emergency transfer. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with my midwife having to jump ship once I got to the hospital if something were to go wrong. I know that's not a likely scenario but I wouldn't want to rule it out.

Twinkle April 4th, 2011 08:00 AM

I second the hotel idea, if you don't have anywhere else to birth. Good luck with your decisions and pursuing what you'd like!

HappyHippy April 4th, 2011 08:24 AM

If you transfer couldn't your MW just say she's a Doula?

I'm not trying to push you in a direction you're not comfortable with by the way.

MaggieLizer April 4th, 2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaBee (Post 23539444)
If you transfer couldn't your MW just say she's a Doula?

I'm not trying to push you in a direction you're not comfortable with by the way.

That's okay - I understand. I suppose that could be a possibility - although I'm sure a lot of people at that hospital have never seen of heard of a doula. Maybe I will try to do some asking around between now and then and see if there even are any DEM in that area (we will be moving back to our smaller hometown in western KY). I don't think I'll have much luck but maybe I should at least consider that if I really want a home birth. If I could find a very experienced midwife I might feel comfortable enough.

Of course I'm sure my family would all think I'm crazy for having any kind of home birth and probably not be happy about it. It's really just not done AT ALL there. But my hospital NCB, although it went well, left a bad taste in my mouth and I sometimes wonder how different a home birth would have been. I even wonder if we might have had better success with breastfeeding (but that's a whole different issue). And there are so many things I really want to do differently next time (delayed cord clamping, natural 3rd stage, placenta encapsulation, etc.) and I have a feeling if I have to fight hospital policy on a lot of stuff most of it will go by the wayside.

I know all of this is like 4 or 5 years down the road probably but since I'm kind of becoming a birth junkie I can't help thinking about it now so thanks for indulging me!