JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   What does your midwife bring to a birth? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2311789-what-does-your-midwife-bring-to-birth.html)

Sk8ermaiden April 25th, 2011 12:10 PM

What does your midwife bring to a birth?

Is it the same as/more than/less than other midwives in your area carry?

Were any particular things make or break for you? Like your midwife had to have oxygen/pit, etc?

Does she suture? Is that important to you?

lrowe70 April 25th, 2011 09:19 PM

Re: What does your midwife bring to a birth?

Yikes, I don't know! She's told us and even gave us a list. Of course I've forgotten and the list is *somewhere*.

Sigh, I feel so behind sometimes.

sodagirl April 25th, 2011 09:28 PM

They do/have everything LOL. They can even intubate. I'm glad they have oxygen - since my baby needed it.

mommybugnbugga April 26th, 2011 07:03 AM

I am not sure of everything she brings with her. I know she brings two HUGE suitcases full of stuff. Some of the things I know she brings are:

Oxygen
Intubation supplies,
Vit. K shots
Pitocin shots
Anitbitotics (if needed)
Saline bags
IV Supplies (in the event you need an IV for fluids on the way for a transfer or a really long labor and you are getting dehydrated)
Suture kit
Episiotomy kit (she has only HAD to use once in the past 2 years)

Sk8ermaiden April 26th, 2011 07:48 AM

Is it the same as/more than/less than other midwives in your area carry? What my midwife brings is pretty standard for the area. She has Oxygen, Pit, Methergine, IV fluids, IV antibiotics, suture materials. AFAIK, there is only one midwife in the area who does not bring these things.

Were any particular things make or break for you? Like your midwife had to have oxygen/pit, etc? I definitely wanted my midwife to have everything they can legally have.

Does she suture? Is that important to you? She does, and it is important to me. The last thing I want to do is transfer for a straighforward small or medium tear.

beckiethedoula April 26th, 2011 10:30 AM

Is it the same as/more than/less than other midwives in your area carry? She brings the standard goodies! :)

Were any particular things make or break for you? Like your midwife had to have oxygen/pit, etc? Not really, most of the home birth midwives in my area carry the same things, so I didn't really worry that something will be missing...

Does she suture? Is that important to you? Yes. and kind of. I didn't tear with my first two and don't think I will this time either, but it's good to know she can take care of it if it does happen!