JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   unassisted (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2559013-unassisted.html)

mamato4andc August 8th, 2012 12:54 PM

unassisted

Has anyone had a planned unassisted home-birth? What are everyones thoughts on one?

*Anya* August 8th, 2012 03:39 PM

Re: unassisted

One of the girls in my PR did that, she loved the experience. I think it's great and if you think it's the right choice for you, and you are low risk with a normal pregnancy I don't see why not :)

MissusF August 8th, 2012 08:31 PM

Personally, I would not UC unless it was unplanned. I'm way too neurotic lol.

GranolaMamaOf3 August 11th, 2012 08:37 PM

I go back and forth on this one. On one hand the introvert in me thinks it sounds great! and my husband is a critical care paramedic, so it's not like he's clueless in case of an emergency. But on the other hand, he's not a skilled midwife, who from experience can foresee problems and treat or act on them before they get out of hand. I guess in the end, I like someone who will be respectful and hands-off, but I still like having that experience and expertise of a midwife present.

ShawnaCAN August 12th, 2012 06:49 PM

I don't like the idea of putting all the responsibility on DH to respond to an emergency. Even with all the reading in the world, he's not trained for that. Even with all of my knowledge and medical training, how can I guarantee that I would be in a frame of mind to direct him??? I could be passed out or something.

Even though the odds are pretty high that everything would go just fine, I'd worry about that small chance that something goes wrong. I just feel better having my MW sitting in the corner, just in case. She really isn't much more involved than that, she's just there to watch for a problem and act if there is one.

Earthy.Mama September 24th, 2012 10:30 AM

I've had to toss the idea back and forth depending on where we were moving too. Now that we've bought land and have moved I did some research and there is a MW about 30min from me so I'll check her out (and find more if there are more) and go with that. BUT, if we had really moved to where there weren't any MW's DH and I understood that we'd be doing an unassisted birth.

dannimom October 28th, 2012 09:45 PM

Due in Feb with my 1st UC and I'm also UPing.

SJane October 30th, 2012 07:07 AM

You ladies are so brave! :o Can't do HB -- assisted or not. I'm too scared not having emergency equips. Or I'm just being paranoid. Good luck though!

rhiane2013 November 16th, 2012 04:47 PM

this is scary for first timers like me...i still prefer assisted birth so that whne something goes wrong, u have an aid beside you...