JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Twins? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2608967-twins.html)

ChicaChels December 27th, 2012 10:39 PM

Twins?

Anyone here have a homebirth with twins? We're not pregnant yet but were doing fertility treatments and our RE has warned us because of my hubs sperm count, we should be semi aware of the chance.

stargatemommy December 28th, 2012 12:24 AM

Re: Twins?

I know of a couple ladies who have done it. i don't know that I would. But I also don't know that I'd want to birth in a hospital with twins, since they are automatically on high alert with twins.

HippyMomOf4 December 28th, 2012 12:22 PM

I don't know of anyone that has done it besides maybe a few I've talked to online but I know I would for sure birth at home as long as the twins were full term when labor started.

jhmomofmany December 29th, 2012 04:06 PM

No personal experience here... it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and start interviewing midwives (or talk to yours if you have one), explain the situation and get their (her) perspective. :)

GranolaMamaOf3 December 30th, 2012 08:47 PM

Laws regarding twin home-birth differ from state to state. I have a friend who lives in FL, where it is illegal to home-birth twins, so she drove to NC where she found a supportive midwife/OB team who attended her home-birth. (she stayed at a friend's house for the month leading up to her due date). She has had natural home births before, and said she was not going to have an automatic c-section (dr policy) just because there were two inside! They were breach, but all went well and they are healthy and happy! It can definitely be done! You just might have to be creative if it's really important to you ;)

stargatemommy December 30th, 2012 11:29 PM

My midwife can deliver twins, even though she we are in Utah, because she is licensed in ND.

aroundtheworld January 21st, 2013 12:25 PM

Hi. I'm currently 19 weeks pregnant with identical twin girls. I have four other children, the latter two of which were born at home with midwives in attendance. I found out a week ago that we're expecting twins. This changes things for me when it comes to birth, but only slightly. Because I live in a state where it's illegal for licensed midwives to deliver twins, I now have to see a trusted and experienced unlicensed midwife AND my regular, licensed midwife. I will switch between seeing them for prenatals and, come time for the birth, I will deliver at my regular midwife's "office" (a house with two birthing suites)- which is close to the hospital- instead of my own home. In attendance will be both midwives, however my licensed midwife won't be able to do the actual "catching" of the babies. But she can otherwise help with whatever the unlicensed midwife might need. My midwife's house is only 20-25 minutes away from where I live, so that's not a big deal. Yes, I'd rather just stay at my own house to deliver, but this is light years more preferable than going to the hospital.

Even if it's illegal in some states for unlicensed midwives to deliver twins, there are ways around it without technically breaking the law. It's all about finding a willing team of knowledgeable people to assist in building a bridge to get there.