JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Qotd - 2/11 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2624375-qotd-2-11-a.html)

GranolaMamaOf3 February 11th, 2013 11:35 AM

Qotd - 2/11

Question of the day - What lead you to consider home birth?

Pretty Crispy February 11th, 2013 12:45 PM

The hospital atmosphere just isn't for me as a patient. I want to be able to eat and drink, move around as I want, and have a water birth. I also want to allow my body to push and not be instructed to the count of 10 when a monitor says I'm contracting. I trust my body to know what to do and birth a baby properly :)

2Corinthians10:4 February 12th, 2013 04:59 AM

Re: Qotd - 2/11

It's just something I have always been drawn too, but then I had my Dd in the hospital and while I loved my OB I hated the hospital experience every step of the way. It just cemented it for me that this time I will be having it at home.

KtKuKi February 23rd, 2013 05:25 PM

My hospital experience was horrible. My mom kept telling me that hospitals were not birth friendly, but I insisted things had to be different from when she had my sister in one 30 years before. Well they were different....worse! The only homebirth dr passed away a year after dd was born, but luckily midwives became legal to attend home births right about the same time. There was a birth center opening that we considered, but their estimated opening was March 1st, and that was a little too close for me. I was worried something might delay them.

I was born at home, so of course my mom has always been a huge advocate for it.

GranolaMamaOf3 February 23rd, 2013 06:41 PM

My mom had all natural births, but in a hospital setting. Growing up she spoke very openly and positively about natural birth, so I always knew I wanted to go natural. In fact I've been convinced since I was 8 years old that one day I will be a midwife! As soon as I graduated high-school I enrolled in a training course to become a Doula. Through the training i started to learn about how many problems we have in our maternity system, and started considering home-birth. But it was after I had the opportunity to witness my oldest sister birthing her first baby at home that I was sold on the idea! It just seemed so normal and natural - It was beautiful!

I got married 3 months later, and 8 months after that, just after moving several states away, I found out I was pregnant. I searched all over for a home-birth midwife, but the only one I could find was not certified, and our personalities did NOT mesh well, so at 18 weeks I finally gave up and went to my friends CNM who delivered in a small town hospital. It ended up being a great experience, and I really liked that midwife, but there were things I didn't like about the hospital setting and I still had my heart set on HB.. so when I got pregnant the second time I started researching further and finally found a CPM who lived 30 minutes from me and was willing to come attend my birth. It was awesome and (barring a medical emergency) I will never go back to a hospital again! We have actually moved south again, so I had to find another midwife for this pregnancy, but I love the teem I have now! :)

Ultimately, I view birth as being a natural, normal bodily function, and I consider hospitals a place for emergencies or sick people; as a mom, I'm neither of those, so why go and expose myself to germs when I could be in the warmth, safety and comfort of my own home?

KnitterLaurel February 24th, 2013 05:43 AM

It is pretty much just what we do in my family. lol I was lucky to be raised knowing birth was a normal natural thing.

I was born at home. My mom had a hospital birth that she hated and two home births. I just always knew that is what I would do. Thank goodness my DH was totally on board from the start! My older sister had two natural hospital births and one home birth, and my little sister just had a home water birth 2.5 weeks ago.

petalfuzz April 13th, 2013 11:23 AM

I have a phobia when it comes to doctors. And where as hospitals are concerned, I'm fine with visiting someone but terrified to be a patient myself. My dh understands me more than I do and did all the research for me to find me the perfect midwife! No anxiety about working with her. She trusts my body to birth my baby as it was designed.

I wasn't comfortable enough the first time around to birth at home (felt my house was too small and I needed room to breathe). This time we are going forward with a homebirth and are getting excited! I'm glad to skip the car ride to the birth center as well.

No one in my family or social circle has worked with a midwife or had a homebirth. But everyone was either accepting of our decision or kept quiet with their opinion. I believe one can have a natural and welcoming warm birth in a hospital setting, but it really is a gamble to get the natural-friendly staff while you are a patient there. At home, you are in control of who is around you so you know they are warm and welcoming and supportive.