JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Did you (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2698687-did-you.html)

navywifey2003 December 17th, 2013 08:56 AM

Did you

Feel supported in your choice to HB or did you feel you needed to defend it?

Irish_Wristwatch December 17th, 2013 09:27 AM

Re: Did you

I wouldnt say i felt like i had to defend it because ive come to a point where im done justifying myself to others so i wouldnt say my choice was supported but ive never defended it to anyone either because i just dont care what they think anymore

Kelllilee December 17th, 2013 09:34 PM

Mostly supported or indifferent. The negative comments mostly turned into an open discussion/education for the naysayers. I also don't tend to get offended by negative comments.

Earthy.Mama December 19th, 2013 06:11 AM

Supported.... but.... judging from a distance is what I'd say.

People in mine and DH's family have really never questioned our birthing or parenting even though it's vastly different from either families/society. DH says it's because I scare people??? I am pretty fierce when it comes to my kids... but who isn't?? lol

navywifey2003 December 20th, 2013 12:56 PM

We didn't announce to anyone but a few people we were home birthing. I feared so much judgement and I got some but it was more curiosity than anything.

Lorelai December 21st, 2013 05:23 PM

I don't plan on making my home birth plan very public. I told a couple friends, but as of right now my family and most of my friends don't even know I'm pregnant yet. HA!

Britt3 December 23rd, 2013 12:48 PM

I definitely had to defend my home birth to everyone! I even had to talk my (ex)DP into it, but that didn't take as much as I thought it would. He then supported me 100%. My older sister also supported me, and my family mostly didn't say anything because they weren't convinced it was a good idea. My friends and coworkers were very judgmental and said it wouldn't happen. Finally, after it happened, and was perfect (10 1/2 pound healthy child, no tears, etc) they all apologized and shut up.

This time around I have a different DP and his family is not being supportive. They're constantly talking about how it seems dangerous (this coming from people who have read NOTHING on the subject) and "hinting" that the local hospitals are so great! ugh. My DP is being supportive, but is also a scared new father-to-be. We are working together on having him learn some of the home birth stuff though, so he's not as scared. (he's more scared of the birth in general)
This time my family and friends are completely on board. lol. They know no one is changing my mind and I can do it. I'm not blatantly open about it at my current job though- I don't need the drama.