JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Why did you (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2699242-why-did-you.html)

navywifey2003 December 20th, 2013 01:52 PM

Why did you

Choose home birth?

Earthy.Mama December 20th, 2013 02:50 PM

Re: Why did you

It's part spiritual and part "I did my research".

For the spiritual part... I'm pagan, very nature/-earth based belief system. I keep things as natural as possible, meaning how I think we were "meant" to live if technology were not around/modern times (I think you know what I'm saying, I hate having to //// and ---- a bunch of terms to get the point across lol).

Boys are born w/ foreskin so leave it alone. Boobs are made for food so use em. Vaginas are made for birthing so push the kid out ---- very basic line of thinking, that's where I come from.

And that's not a judgement thing at all, I'm just explaining my thought process. You do what you do for your family and be happy w/ that and... yay, cool beans :lol:

For the "research" half, I read books, I read websites and watched the tv shows and noticed a pattern w/ how hospital births go LONG before I ever got pregnant w/ #1. It seemed very obvious to me that it wasn't the ideal setting. I had a heart issue w/ #1 so that was hospital... but #2 was home and so is this one.

It's very, very weird for me to watch hospital birth shows now and to read about birth stories because it feels so alien to me. The thought of a hospital birth, with all the machines, and jarring lights and people constantly in and out and in and out just seems very absurd, odd, not right, to me.

Irish_Wristwatch December 21st, 2013 06:04 AM

I hate hospitals and after i had my first with an OB i knew for certain i did not want to do that again. I prefer the more hands off approach

Lorelai December 21st, 2013 06:29 PM

Research and experience. I did not have a good birth experience with my son. Then with my daughter I was all alone, the husband was deployed and at that point I had never considered anything different. Since then I've done a lot of reading and watching. I just can't even entertain the thought of having another hospital birth. It's almost laughable at this point.

Alison79 December 22nd, 2013 08:44 PM

When we moved to Dallas I realized most hospitals had a high c-section rate. My first three were induced and I really wanted a natural birth. I debated a birth center but found a wonderful home birth midwife and decided to go that route. Assuming all goes as planned this baby will be our 5th born at home. I love being tucked in after the baby is born with the whole family being right there.

Britt3 December 23rd, 2013 01:40 PM

I was newly pregnant with my first and hadn't studied ANYTHING at that point. I was just doing whatever seemed to be "normal" at that time... then my (crunchier) sister invited me to a conference where Jennifer Block (the author of "Pushed") was going to be speaking. I had no idea who that was, or anything- but decided if it was about pregnancy and birth, I wanted to go!! I immediately knew I wanted a douhla, but was hesitant a little bit about the home birth deal. I decided to start doing some research and find information on it, and then KNEW I wanted nothing other than a home birth! The rest is history. ;)

navywifey2003 December 24th, 2013 01:22 PM

I had an unplanned natural birth with our 2nd child, and shortly after her birth I realized I didn't even know the person who delivered her. There was no relationship and I felt it was such an impersonal experience for something so personal. I began researching hb after that and never looked back.