JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   When to call (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2699930-when-to-call.html)

navywifey2003 December 25th, 2013 08:23 PM

When to call

When did you feel it was or will be a good time to call your midwife?

Earthy.Mama December 26th, 2013 05:42 AM

Re: When to call

Never.

Really though, I thought it was just very early prodromal labor and I took a bath, thought my water broke (it was just pee) so that's why I called her. I was 6cm by the time she got there though. I never would have believed I was in labor w/ dd1... completely painless until I got to 10cm/hospital.

With dd2 I did have prodromal labor since March 17th and it wasn't until 10pm March 19th that DH said "You're in labor, you need to call."..... I guess me leaning over the kitchen counter and not talking is what made it official in his head.

This time.... I really don't know. Part of me wonders if I'm going to deliver U/A because I just never know when I'm in labor lol

Alison79 December 26th, 2013 09:27 AM

I like to give my midwife a heads up if I'm feeling something different. She has to arrange childcare, etc so I figure earlier is better than too late. Typically if I have really regular contractions during the day I know it's the real deal. I have lots of prodromal labor but usually it starts at night and then tapers off by morning. There comes a point in labor where I just feel like I need my birth team there. Early labor I like to keep busy and hang out with the family, but when I get into active labor I want my birth team there.

navywifey2003 December 26th, 2013 12:21 PM

I told my midwife at my appointment the day or so before Payson was born I felt different. But thought it was a week out still. Kyle called when I knew it was time it was weird that I knew because I was in denial with Everett. Like Jackie I never know for sure.

Irish_Wristwatch December 27th, 2013 04:21 AM

I called last time when i was sure they were actual contractions. My MW didnt believe me though, she said you sound way to cheerful to be in labour, when we spoke on the phone. She came just to be safe, and he was born after 2.5 hours of labour.

Britt3 December 27th, 2013 08:22 AM

I was a first time mom so I called her after about 2 hours of having contractions. lol. Of course she said to lay down, rest, and call her later.. which I did. She showed up after a total of about 5 hours of contractions, and he was born 14 hours later. lol. Soooo... this time I think I'll calm down a lot more- let my body do it's thing, maybe give my midwife a headsup, but wait to have everyone come running. :) I guess I'll play it by ear..

Earthy.Mama December 27th, 2013 09:49 AM

Just as there are all those annoying things that OBs say that cause us to (partly at least) to want to have a HB to begin with, I notice that MWs have a bad habit of saying to not call unless you can't talk through them or that if you're smiling you can't be in active labor. That's completely untrue. So many women smile/laugh/converse throughout the whole thing!

I was laughing, walking, chit chatting all up to 10cm w/ dd1.

Britt3 December 27th, 2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthy.Mama (Post 27875247)
Just as there are all those annoying things that OBs say that cause us to (partly at least) to want to have a HB to begin with, I notice that MWs have a bad habit of saying to not call unless you can't talk through them or that if you're smiling you can't be in active labor. That's completely untrue. So many women smile/laugh/converse throughout the whole thing!

I was laughing, walking, chit chatting all up to 10cm w/ dd1.

Agreed. I was telling jokes and laughing right before I pushed.