JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   1st Appt (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2700696-1st-appt.html)

Earthy.Mama December 30th, 2013 02:56 PM

1st Appt

Met the new MW today and her apprentice. Her apprentice is on the last leg of her apprenticeship so she's going to "deliver" my baby, which is fine by me because I really like her.

The MW and I are going to butt heads on a few things like diet and testing. Apparently if you don't get these two certain blood tests (I'll have to ask her the name) and we DID have to be transferred to a hospital it's an automatic call to CPS (or whatever it's called). Not by her, but by the hospital. She says even still we can decline w/e we want, she just wants us to understand the laws there (Arkansas is where she is, I live in MO).

I declined AFP, she was fine w/ that.
I told her I'll do GBS but if it's + that I'll treat naturally and that's what she likes to do too.
I told her that I don't do the diabetes testing, with my diet it'd be an automatic fail putting that much sugar into my body. Anyway, she was like "Well if there is stuff showing in your urine what about ______" and I told her that if there are any red flags I'm not going to ignore them, but I don't "just test" automatically.

Anyway, it was a good appt. Uterus is just below the belly button from what the MW and her apprentice measured. The apprentice wasn't used to feeling a 12 wk uterus, I guess their patients don't have their 1st appt until later on. She was happy I let her poke around all she wanted :lol:

I didn't bring up the outdoor stuff b/c we hadn't heard the HB by that point, I wanted to make sure there was a kid in there before I went in w/ the nitty gritty stuff.

Honestly, I'm not too sure how she's going to react :lol:

navywifey2003 December 30th, 2013 09:38 PM

Re: 1st Appt

I'm glad it went well! We did an alternative testing for the glucose screen with Everett. I ate a breakfast, 2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast, 8oz of OJ and 8oz of milk. With Payson I didn't do it all and just paid attention.

Irish_Wristwatch December 31st, 2013 05:15 AM

sounds like it was good overall :) I dont do the glucose testing either

Earthy.Mama December 31st, 2013 08:45 AM

Went well overall. Gotta do more research on those individual tests she likes to do to see which ones I'll do and which ones I won't. I don't want to cause her any issues and if the tests are easy/minimal and don't cause ME any issues then I don't care about doing them if it's good for her PPW.

Irish_Wristwatch December 31st, 2013 08:50 AM

ive never heard about a call to CPS if you refuse a test though, im curious as to which they are. I know all states are different though as far as what is "mandatory"

here you get CPS called on you if you refuse that newborn eye drop gunk at the hospitals.

Earthy.Mama December 31st, 2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish_Wristwatch (Post 27880902)
ive never heard about a call to CPS if you refuse a test though, im curious as to which they are. I know all states are different though as far as what is "mandatory"

here you get CPS called on you if you refuse that newborn eye drop gunk at the hospitals.

I think I refuse that unless there is bleeding, I can't remember, I always have to re-research everything each time I get pregnant.

And again, more reasons why I stay home. DUMB!

Irish_Wristwatch December 31st, 2013 10:21 AM

ya the eye gunk is to prevent some STD from getting in their eyes, it can cause blindness, which is a great preventative measure you know if you have that STD but pointless for everyone who doesnt....

navywifey2003 December 31st, 2013 09:48 PM

It's amazing what you learn when you have a hb, it really is a different perspective.