JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Thinking about a homebirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/2700979-thinking-about-homebirth.html)

jumpingoffplace January 1st, 2014 06:59 AM

Thinking about a homebirth

Hi Ladies! I'm new to this board and am thinking about a home birth this time. I have had 5 pregnancies (2 early losses). I've had 2 hospital births which I hated. They were so intent to rush things, tried to force me into an epidural (which I refused) but the worst part was AFTER the birth itself. I'd really like to have a home birth, but I'm a little nervous about it. While the hospital births (both unmedicated) weren't ideal, there was this sense of safety knowing that IF something happened, it could be taken care of. So I'm going to lurk, read and learn... I hope you don't mind. :)

Earthy.Mama January 1st, 2014 07:15 AM

Re: Thinking about a homebirth

Welcome!!!

I don't know what resources you've read in the past so don't mind me....

Read as much as you can! Also, I love The Business of Being Born and More Business of Being Born (which is a 4 part series, love love love episode 1, 2, 3, I haven't seen 4 yet, it's about csections).

I understand the knowing of having the medical stuff there. You can think of it this way:

A hospital and OBs mode of care is very hands on, they don't have to look for the red flags like a MW (homebirth or birth center) does because they have all their equipment if "they screw up" or something, if that makes sense.

Midwives are extremely attentive to a woman's body and baby's signals. For any "life saving" emergency care that needs to be done, there are many red flags that will show up beforehand that a MW will recognize, and transfer you if need be BEFORE it ever becomes a "life saving" issue. Does that make sense? I think I said that right... it's explained much better in "More Business of Being Born" episode 1 I believe.

There's a lot of resources here and on the web in general, ask away :)

jumpingoffplace January 1st, 2014 07:38 AM

Thank you!!! :) I really, really like the idea of having my baby at home... and I know "some" about it- and some of it I've experienced in my hospital births first hand. I just watched an UC video on youtube. Brought me to tears. So gentle and calm... I'm not sure I'm comfortable with UC, but the difference between that and a hospital birth is staggering. My only concern is the ability- or inability- to find a midwife- since I live in a very rural state. One step at a time though right?? :)

Irish_Wristwatch January 1st, 2014 07:46 AM

a huge ditto to everything jackie said, i have nothing else to add. Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome :) Feel free to stick around, join in and ask any questions you might have!

jumpingoffplace January 1st, 2014 07:52 AM

Thank you!!! :) I keep thinking, "I did it twice, in a hospital, without meds, the only "interventions" were the "required" IV which I HATED and who caught the baby... I can do this, right?" Ha. :)

navywifey2003 January 1st, 2014 07:30 PM

I'm glad to see you over here! Welcome! Jackie gave some great advice. A good search could help find some midwives in your area. Welcome again!