JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   What made you decide? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/341753-what-made-you-decide.html)

*:Onei*Chan:* October 18th, 2006 03:29 PM

Homebirth is certainly not an option for everyone, nor is it the right way to go for everybody. Some people are downright against homebirth, assisted or not. And, some women genuinely prefer giving birth in a hospital, and having medications administered. What I want to know, is what was it that made you decide that you were different? How did you KNOW that a homebirth was for you?

abigailsilva October 18th, 2006 03:41 PM

It is an intensely personal decision and I don't pretend to know what's best for everyone, however, once I really started researching birth and labor and "delivery" I figured out that I wanted a natural birth, and the only place for ME to accomplish that was at home.

MrsPil October 18th, 2006 06:57 PM

I'm a control freak and between my own research, working at a hospital and seeing how women in labor are treated as well as how they are treated postnatal, and my lifelong fear of doctors I didn't feel like I could give birth in a hospital.
I agree wholeheartedly though, it is not for everyone.

UndaCovaSis October 18th, 2006 09:40 PM

Reading statistics? I think it had to do with researching into common medical practises and looking into altnerative view points of birth. By far the biggest push I had was from just researching!

I also like the flexability and privacy of a homebirth. :-)

MissyPrincessEha October 19th, 2006 03:37 PM

Well, when in labor with my first I wanted to stay home. It was just an intense feeling. But we thought you had to be in the hospital to have a live baby and a safe mother! :lol: Oh gosh we were so niave.

I had a "natural" birth in the hospital. But I don't believe hospital birth is really all that natural. Even without and epidural we do things to pregnant women in the hospital that is NOT natural.

I was overjoyed with my birth. I had done it without and epidural or an induction. But that wasn't enough. I began to read and research and this beautiful world of midwives and homebirth began to unfold itself to me little by little.

We were pg with our second child and were living in a pretty good area where birth was allowed to be more natural...but not really. But I thought that was okay. We then moved to Louisiana and all heck broke loose! The good old boys had their finger on all things birth related. And we little ladies were to just do as we were told and that they knew more. I had a horrible experience with many doctors and finally called a midwife from my hometown. She and another midwife gave us prenatal care for the pregnancy. And we planned a UC.

That's the story in a short form. :lol: