I have always thought it was an amazing thing to do, to have your child in the comfort of your own home.
How did you decide that was the best choice for you.
I know my husband would never go for it. How did you get the support from your hubby and family?
I decided after lots of reading and lots of observation in the hospital I worked in. Education should be (IMHO) a high priority to homebirthers.
I've posted all over the place about my DH, but my side of the family is a big source of support too. My mom even lurks on an unassisted birth board now (which is, in itself too funny). My husbands family is a different story but I appreciate them all the same.
Support from my side came after a looooooong conversation with my mom. She would ask me hard questions about what I would do if we had a problem with post partum hemorrhage, what if the baby was breech, what if I passed out, what if my DH passed out, and when she had thought up every situation she could and I could answer every question she had, she said, look this is unfamiliar territory for me but you've done your homework and you know how to handle tough situations and if this is really what you want I'll support you completely, but I will always play devil advocate and ask you hard questions to make sure. And where my mom supports me my dad follows suit.
My inlaws ask me all the hard questions and I answer them, and I love that because their lack of support means I have to know my stuff and in a way that's just as valuable as any encouragement from my family.
I just know I am strong enough to do this. I believe it is the best choice for my baby and my family. I am not a patient, I am not sick. Hospitals are for sick people. My hubbie went along with it because he knew it was important to me and he's always been pretty anti-doc himself. However, months after our decision, I found out he really thought I might DIE!! After meeting with the midwife a couple times, he's really opened up to her and between the two of us we are able to asuage his fears. I have also made a pact with him. If at any point during the birth if he feels like the situation is out of control, he has veto power and if he feels it necessary we wil go transfer. I know that he won't feel like that. It will be such a gentler more intimate experience for him, whereas he was terrified in the hospital. SO I don't think he'd ever feel the need for a transfer. but my promise makes him feel safer.
When I went into the hospital to have Joshua, I was physically picked up and put in bed as I was trying to get on all fours to cope with labor pain. I had to do things how they wanted me to. Ihad tested gbs positive and my dr told me I had to get to the hospital asap to get antibiotics because the condition could kill the baby. Stupid me, I did no research so I got to the hospital asap. I ended up getting an epidural because I couldn't handle it anymore.
I had toyed with the idea of homebirth but that put the nail in the proverbial coffin. I did not want that happening again. With my 2nd and 3rd births I had waited as long as I could to go in so my natural births happened.
More of my reasons were::
I wanted my other kids there
If I wanted a housefull of people, I could do it
I didn't want all the pointless pregnancy testing
I didn't want to be strapped down
I didn't want any kind of intervention and with my labor stalling this time, I can bet my life they would have done something to get it moving
I didn't want my baby messed with
I was tired of it becoming some kind of medical thing!
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.