JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Do you think (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/342607-do-you-think.html)

abigailsilva October 19th, 2006 09:27 AM

I just found in my paperwork that my midwife won't agree to do your HB if you aren't willing to try BFING. while that makes sense to me, and i am going to bf this one just like my last, I was still rather surprised. What do you guys think?

ShawnaCAN October 19th, 2006 09:34 AM

Quote:

I just found in my paperwork that my midwife won't agree to do your HB if you aren't willing to try BFING. while that makes sense to me, and i am going to bf this one just like my last, I was still rather surprised. What do you guys think?[/b]

Hm, that seems a little bit strange to me. I think one of the biggest reasons I love being cared for by a midwife instead of an OB is because they are more supportive of YOUR choices, and not trying to make you conform to a certain way of doing things.

So that kind of requirement seems a little backwards to me. Now, I understand if the midwife made it a requirement for women to learn about the benefits of breastfeeding through a video, book, or class - but in the end, would still respect whatever choice she made about it.

MrsPil October 19th, 2006 09:51 AM

I agree with Shawna - women shouldn't be forced into making the decision to breastfeed just because they want to use that particular HB MW.

That alone might make me uncomfortable with using her, despite the fact that I already want to breastfeed exclusively.

abigailsilva October 19th, 2006 09:52 AM

just open to it, is the requirement, I should have made that clearer.

MrsPil October 19th, 2006 09:58 AM

Open to it is a but different... That's cool, but I hate Hate HATE! midwives who try to tell you what you have to do... It's the control freak in me, I may know I need to do something but if you tell me I have to do it or else it makes me not want to do it. This is why I'm planning a homebirth LOL.

*:Onei*Chan:* October 19th, 2006 12:39 PM

I am with the others, it is a womans choice if she wants to breastfeed or not. I wish that I could make every woman in the world want to breastfeed but I cant. I wish that I could help every woman to see how much better a natural childbirth could be than a medicated one, but I cant. But I can understand why she would say, hey--you at least have to think about it. I just dont know if it is enough to hold over their heads and say I wont take you as a patient if you wont kind of thing.

MissyPrincessEha October 19th, 2006 04:25 PM

Well in our practice we require that mothers nurse their babies for atleast 8 weeks postpartum. This is because until then the uterus is not to it's normal size and nursing helps this process along and helps to keep the mother and the baby healthy. Now...if for some reason this was not something that could happen and it would make for a easier transition into motherhood then we would for sure respect that. But my personnal gut instinct is that all mothers should nurse those first weeks. We do not use drugs to help this along and nature sure does know what it is doing. Why not give this info to women so they can benefit from this natural safegaurd?