JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Placenta Delivery? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/342704-placenta-delivery.html)

*:Onei*Chan:* October 19th, 2006 10:37 AM

When you had your homebirth, did you push to get the afterbirth out, or did you just let it come out when it wanted? How long did it take? Also, did you cut the cord right away, or wait until it stopped pulsating? Did you wait to cut until the placenta was out? Did you tie off the cord, clamp it, or just leave it? I have heard that it heals just the same if you dont even tie it off...

I have every intention of letting the placenta deliver its self, when its ready. I wont want to cut the cord until then. As for clamping it, I will probably buy a birthing kit that has a sterile clamp. But I need to learn a lot more first!

momma6_2angels October 19th, 2006 10:39 AM

Our cord was clamped and cut when it stopped pulsating. Placenta came out on it's own.

My_Serenity October 19th, 2006 12:22 PM

:ditto:

UndaCovaSis October 19th, 2006 12:28 PM

I PLANNED on waiting to cut the cord till after the Placenta came out, but I lost too much blood. As soon as Zahra was out, there was a pool of blood everywhere.... sorry don't mean to get gory. They quickly let my husband cut the cord, turned me over, and started giving me some injections for hemorroaging. It took just a hair too long for my uterus to harden and the placenta to come out....

Anyone had a lotus birth? I think it's really intersting. I don't think I could keep the placenta and baby attached for a week though. lol

abigailsilva October 19th, 2006 02:38 PM

I've just been reading about that....don't think I could deal with that!

momma6_2angels October 19th, 2006 04:29 PM

My friend talked about it and I was totally cool with her doing it but I don't think it's for me. It dos sound neat though. In this house, having the kids handle a baby still attached to the placenta would of been bad!

MissyPrincessEha October 19th, 2006 04:45 PM

I just felt the urge to push and out came the placenta into my own hands. We waited about an hour after baby was born to cut the cord. We used a clamp.

Frelle October 19th, 2006 08:43 PM

I had about a 5 minute wait between birth and placenta delivery with my first 2. With my last, the placenta took 45 minutes to deliver. I have read that it is common with precipitous (fast) birth for your placenta to take longer. I guess its sort of in shock from the speed of delivery.

Never never never let anyone yank on the cord. Ever.

MrsPil October 20th, 2006 10:28 AM

Not sure what we will do, we're considering a lotus birth, but like veryone else has said the cord might start to get on my nerves.