JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Nervous Today (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/343653-nervous-today.html)

ShawnaCAN October 20th, 2006 08:23 AM

Well, our homebirthing practises are a little weird I guess. Because our midwife is from Montana (and we're in Alberta), I do all my prenatal care with my regular family physician/OB - the guy who delivered our first two in hospital. Our midwife comes for the homebirth, and then I follow-up with my regular doctor again after. She's 3 hours away, so this arrangement just makes more sense. And in the event of a hospital transfer, I would get my regular OB who knows me and my history - not left at the mercy of whoever happens to be on call. My regular doctor was respectful of our decision to homebirth, even if he didn't support it. I can appreciate respect.

Well, my regular doctor isn't doing deliveries anymore. That's cool, hopefully we won't need him anyway. But just in case we do need to transfer, I would still feel better if I was officially under the care of a doctor who knows me. So I have been referred to another OB in his office for the remaining weeks of pregnancy. I meet her today.

I'm just so freaked out that she's going to be rude or condescending. I really hate that. If all goes well, it won't even be an issue because we won't be going to the hospital - but I don't any extra worries at this stage of the game!

*UPDATE* I worried for nothing. She was very respectful. However, her nurse told me to strip down because Dr. W likes to start examining her patients around 35 weeks and do the Group B Strep test. I said, "Thanks, I'd really prefer to MEET her with my clothes on and if we decide to proceed under her care - she can do that next time." What if she had turned out to be everything I was scared of? I would have felt way less confident about asserting myself without my pants on!

My_Serenity October 20th, 2006 08:29 AM

I totally understand where your coming from. I understand how you want get to 'know' the person who might help you bring your little one in the world, even just as a precaution. I hope everything goes well and she's supportive of you!

abigailsilva October 20th, 2006 09:35 AM

Good lUCk!! I hope she's wonderful!! If not at least you can come back here and RANT!

momma6_2angels October 20th, 2006 10:16 AM

Good luck!!!

MrsPil October 20th, 2006 11:11 AM

Good luck, I hope to hear something positive when you get back!

ShawnaCAN October 20th, 2006 12:49 PM

see update

MissyPrincessEha October 20th, 2006 02:32 PM

I am so glad you didn't have that pants down exam! That is just crazy! Wow! :lol: Now you can relax...glad she was respectful. :)

*:Onei*Chan:* October 20th, 2006 05:31 PM

I know where you are coming from too. I am 25w along, and I havent even began to talk to my MW about our plans. I still need to feel her out a little more before I start asking her how she feels about just doing my prenatal care and not doing my delivery. If I dont feel that I can fully trust her by the end of the pregnancy, then I guess we just wont tell her. We will just never call in labor.

momma6_2angels October 21st, 2006 07:51 AM

I'm glad you had a positive experience and good for you for standing your ground!