JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Do You Pre-Register at the Hospital (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/343660-do-you-pre-register-hospital.html)

ShawnaCAN October 20th, 2006 08:26 AM

Around here, you go to the hospital to "pre-register" in the last weeks of pregnancy so that when you go in to give birth, all the paperwork is done and you aren't trying to do all of that while in labour!

For those of you who plan homebirths, do you bother to pre-register at the hospital so that if a complications arises - you (or more likely your DH), won't be swamped with filling out all the necessary forms when you get there?

My_Serenity October 20th, 2006 08:38 AM

Hmm... no I never have.. I never thought of it. That's kind of a good idea though.

abigailsilva October 20th, 2006 09:34 AM

Well, I wouldn't go to the hospital for anything short of an emergency, and I don't see anyone making me wait to be helped till I fill out the forms. I don't really feel the need. I mean everyone is different and everyone has possible complications that are kind of unique to them. The only complication that could arise in labor for me that would require transfer would be cord prolapse, which will be unlikely to happen if the babies head engages in the weeks before the birth, just like with DD, and even less likely since the MW won't break my waters artificially. I feel pretty safe with this. Also, If I registered, wouldn't I have to tell them where I get prenatal care? Cause since my MW is illegal in this state, I'm TECHNICALLY not getting any!! OOPS!

momma6_2angels October 20th, 2006 10:17 AM

I didn't.

Lash October 20th, 2006 10:26 AM

I think i will, just to calm dh's fears.. makes him feel more secure, so why not.

MrsPil October 20th, 2006 11:10 AM

I'm not

MissyPrincessEha October 20th, 2006 01:13 PM

Well, for myself I wouldn't. I just don't see the use. And in my experience pre-registering does not cut out the paper work. They still ask the same questions and fill out the same forms again while you are in labor. And if you are going in for a true obstetrical emergency then they will first do what they need. If you are going in for pain relief or some pitocin then they will get the information they need from you or your husband. Also, your midwife should have a form that has pretty much all they need as well.

UndaCovaSis October 20th, 2006 02:10 PM

Our midwife gave us a page to fill out and then they sent it off. I moved while under her care so that hospital would not even be my hospital so I guess it didn't really do any good.

*:Onei*Chan:* October 20th, 2006 05:37 PM

I am probably not going to pre-register with the hospital. If I go in, it is probably going to be because something is really wrong and I dont see them making me wait and fill out the paperwork then. They will just have to let me take care of all of that when the baby is out safely. Or, DH can work on that stuff.

_Brandy_ October 22nd, 2006 04:11 PM

Where I live pre-registration is not done.

If I was to transfer in, I would have been in an ambulance, no need to register for an ambulance bringing you in.

samu2 October 23rd, 2006 01:18 AM

No need to here but I would to be on the safe side.

Lash October 23rd, 2006 06:36 AM

i didnt think about the ambulance... that makes sense

DahliaMarie October 25th, 2006 04:23 PM

No. I'm not planning a transfer, so I didn't plan to fill out paperwork, etc. It does seem like a good idea though.

_Brandy_ October 25th, 2006 05:24 PM

Where I live, if you have seen a Dr for medical care at all in your pregnancy, the chart will be at the hospital.

If you haven't it is ok too, there really is very little that could "go wrong" that would make any difference if there was or was not a chart in the hospital or pre-registration for you already done. That is more vital statistics stuff, name, EDD, etc. Anything that is emergent, such as needing a transfusion, if they do not have time to re-type (which they wouldn't) they would use O-.

LaLa November 3rd, 2006 05:54 PM

I had the option to since pre-registering is done here.

However, this is how my mind works: I figured if I did the preregistering, then it would make it easier to transfer right? But, I didnt want a transfer to be easy. Sounds crazy i know lol. But in an emergency, theyre not going to bother with the preregistration crap - they treat you immediately. I wanted it to be somethign I had to think about and really have to go through something so that I wouldnt be tempted to transfer for a non emergency (like just wanting drugs lol).

So, I didnt pre-register. I knew in an emergency, I was 5 mins fromthe hospital, and Id get right in through the ER, and probably even go in an ambulance. Otherwise, in a non emergency, I would seriously consider wether it was worth it to go and have to wait to be admitted lol.

Lala...