JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Why have Labor? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/372524-why-have-labor.html)

wonderfullymade November 17th, 2006 06:50 AM

This is a brainstorming thread for us to become creative and put some thought into the purpose of labor. Why, do you think, do we have labor? Why not just have the baby? Posting links to articles is cool, but I really want YOUR THOUGHTS. It can be physical reasons, emotional, mental, spiritual, etc...

abigailsilva November 17th, 2006 08:39 AM

Spritually/emotionally
Well, I hear many women say that the first time they gave birth without the epidural, FEELING their baby move through them was an AMAZING feeling that they treasured.

Physically
Also, the squeezing of the canal and vaginal muscles help naturally release the mucus from baby's mouth, nose, lungs.

I think I've heard that the more children you bear, the less likely you are to need hip replacements when you are old.

Chemicals, and hormones are released in specific patterns throughout labor and delivery that ensure bonding with your child, and emotional well being for mother and infant. INstances of PPD are much lower with a fully natural birth.

That's all i've got for now.....

momma6_2angels November 19th, 2006 10:30 AM

I really believe we have labor as a health benefit for baby. Our bodies need to go through it in order to have THAT bond and from what I have noticed, the ppd happens less in natural birthing moms than it does in c-section and epi moms.

.H.e.a.t.h.e.r. November 19th, 2006 10:46 AM

I think it definitely has to do with bonding. I had a really rough time bonding with my daughter after my emergency c-section. I didnt have that overwhelming love for her til she was close to a year old. I was very depressed that I had a emergency section. I really resented her in the beginning and wanted to walk away multiple times.

definitely had some major PPD that was brought on due to thinking I was a failure and she wasnt really my kid since i didnt birth her.

I'm hoping it doesnt happen with my next whether I get a home birth or a hospital birth.

abigailsilva November 19th, 2006 03:13 PM

Wow, that's really amazing that a c-sec. had so much affect on you. I really don't think people consider those things when they get elective ones........i hope you have a beautiful birth this next time!

Candice November 25th, 2006 07:43 PM

Why do we have labour. I think it's a spiritual thing. It tests you, makes you work hard fro your goal... something that you have to do when you parent the child you are labouring for.

It's all connected.. call it God or The Universe... whatever you wish.. but you are tested before given anything.

Does that make sense?

abigailsilva November 25th, 2006 08:26 PM

Yes, i think that makes sense :D

I think it connects you! How many women have you heard who have done the birth numb and felt unconnected to their new baby?

Candice November 25th, 2006 09:15 PM

I've heard that many C section moms felt unattached to thier child because of the surgery. and the separation afterwards.

My own mother had me vaginally but was soo Drugged up didn't even know I was born! My little brother was a emerg C section 9 weeks early and Again my mother was unable to connect with him because of the surgry and because she wasn't allowed to hold him for weeks after his birth.. no wonder he was in a foster home at the age of 3 months for almost 6 months. That and My mother shouldn't of even had children.. by that time I wasn't with my mother either, but rather with my father.. when they separated.. I was 3. (My father isn't my little brother's father)

If we weren't supposed to have labour.. then way do we have it? It's like skipping grades in school... ultimately, no matter how smart you are, you end up missing something.