JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Baby in tthe caul (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/374623-baby-tthe-caul.html)

abigailsilva November 19th, 2006 02:15 PM

Any of you HBers had a baby born in the bag still intact? At what point did your waters break, do you let your MW do it? Why or why not?

sidhesister November 19th, 2006 04:37 PM

very special thing to happen~ i dont have personal experience with this.. but my midwife has delivered a baby who's water bag was still intact...she said at first she didnt know what she was looking at. she had read about them, but this was her first baby in the caul. so she just gentley tore the sac, and inside was an amazing baby boy.. all pink and ready for the world!

it is supposed to be a blessing~

**Jenn** November 20th, 2006 07:23 AM

I lurk here so just popping in, hope you all don't mind. :blush: Just wanted to say, my younger brother was born with his bag of water still in tact. He was born in a hospital but was a posterior and facial presentation. My Mom had him completely naturally (Go Mom! :cheer: ) and her dr. kept the bag in tact to soften his journey through the birth canal. After his head was delivered then he broke the bag. 4 weeks early and a less than optimum presentation and he was perfectly fine (swollen lips but fine :lol: ). I think most other drs. would have scared her into a c-section, I commend him for listening to my Mom and working with her (and this was over 24 years ago).

wonderfullymade November 20th, 2006 09:46 AM

My last birth was almost a caul baby. His waters broke right before being born. (birthstory under NCB birthstories subforum)

I was born in the caul in 1979 in an unmedicated hospital birth. My grandma fainted when she heard because she swore it would mean 'second sight' (sixth sense) for me.

Kelllilee November 20th, 2006 02:22 PM

My DD would have been born that way. But at 10cm they couldn't hear her heartbeat and had to break my water to put a probe on her head. My midwife said she had a VERY tough membrane and most likely would have been born in the sac. She said it's considered lucky.

*Vero* November 21st, 2006 02:35 PM

My DD Elyssa was born in the hospital but she was delived by midwife and she was born with her sack intact.

My midwife had told me that if the labour wa snot progressing well, they would break my waters... but labour progressed beautifully! They wanted to break the waters right before she was born, but I couldn't stop pushing and she was born with her bag intact!! She was perfect and pink!! :wub:

momma6_2angels November 22nd, 2006 05:54 AM

My midwife offered to break mine at 7 and I let her after i thought about it. I'm so glad I did because as soon as they broke, I was ready to push!