JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Not induction exactly (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/383755-not-induction-exactly.html)

abigailsilva November 29th, 2006 07:49 AM

I am seeing a lot of products for labor and birth that can be started at 36 weeks. Herbs, teas, EPO, tinctures. I think i'm going to hold off on the EPO for a while, but i have heard of a good tea that I am going to start at 36 weeks.

What about you guys? Do you have any getting ready for labor regimens? Products you swear by? If you have used anything, how did it affect your labor and birth, did it?

LaLa November 29th, 2006 08:12 AM

I used a prenatal blend of herbs starting at 35 weeks, gradually increasing them. They were actually Polly Jean Ante-natal formula.

I also took:
Red Raspberry Leaf Tea for toning the uterus (makes contractions more efficient so they can accomplish what they need to with less effort).
Evening Primrose Oil - 2 in the am orally, 2 in the pm vaginally (to ripen the cervix so that when contractions begin,the cervix can open more easily)
Alfalfa & Nettle - to strengthen the bag of waters to avoid Premature Rupture of Membranes, or my water breaking before labor begins and to boost Vitamin K since I was declining Vit K injection. My water didnt break until the pushing stage :)

For me, I think it really helped. I got good, efficient contractions. I was 3 cm by the time I went into labor. I had about a 4.5 hour labor, that while intense, was effective!

I definitely encourage anyone to try them. They work better in some than others, but theyre definitely a help. The alfalfa & nettle especially b/c of its overall qualities & benefits. Alfalfa is considered the father of all vitamins I think.

Lala...

Butter November 29th, 2006 08:16 AM

I took EPO and the Polly Jean formula. I don't think it did diddly. Fritz came 11 days late and my labor was longer than it was with my second (Fritz wasn't positioned too well).

My midwife had my taking alfalfa throughout my second and third trimester by the way. I took 3 grams a day through my third trimester (worked up to that during the second trimester).

MrsPil November 29th, 2006 08:25 AM

I'm taking the gentle birth formula from mountain meadow herbs. It has a plethera of induction agents as well as things to stop contractions... Label reads like so:
Blessed thistle, blue cohosh, false unicorn, red raspberry, squawvine, bayberry, ginger, scullcap, motherwart, wild yam extract, distilled water, and 10% grain alcohol.

I'm also continuing my herbal iron drops which have nettle, yellow dock, and dandelion so my Vit K should be good.

I'm thinking I might try EPO but I don't want to rush things. I'm already two fingertips dilated, and I'm not entirely sure that I'm in a hurry to be done with being pregnant. I may get there though. I'm finishing my birthkit shopping today, and I just ordered all the baby stuff that we're going to get yesterday. I think I'll post my birthkit so you all can take a look and tell me anything that I may or may not need!

abigailsilva November 29th, 2006 11:01 AM

sounds like good stuff, the polly jean formula is the one i've been rcomended to get, LALA!

and my MW cannot say enough good things about alfalfa, so i will be getting some of that too.

abigailsilva November 29th, 2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

I used a prenatal blend of herbs starting at 35 weeks, gradually increasing them. They were actually Polly Jean Ante-natal formula.

I also took:
Red Raspberry Leaf Tea for toning the uterus (makes contractions more efficient so they can accomplish what they need to with less effort).
Evening Primrose Oil - 2 in the am orally, 2 in the pm vaginally (to ripen the cervix so that when contractions begin,the cervix can open more easily)
Alfalfa & Nettle - to strengthen the bag of waters to avoid Premature Rupture of Membranes, or my water breaking before labor begins and to boost Vitamin K since I was declining Vit K injection. My water didnt break until the pushing stage :)

For me, I think it really helped. I got good, efficient contractions. I was 3 cm by the time I went into labor. I had about a 4.5 hour labor, that while intense, was effective!

I definitely encourage anyone to try them. They work better in some than others, but theyre definitely a help. The alfalfa & nettle especially b/c of its overall qualities & benefits. Alfalfa is considered the father of all vitamins I think.

Lala...[/b]
so the nettle will raise my chances of the bag not breaking? I would so love a baby in the caul birth!
how cool!

Bug-n-Ed November 29th, 2006 12:57 PM

I used Evening Primrose Oil during my last pregnancy. I started taking it at 37w1d, I took 500mg, 3 times a day for a week, then went to just once a day. I went into labor at 38w3d.

LaLa November 29th, 2006 02:07 PM

Its actually the alfalfa that will help mostly with keeping the bag of waters intact :) Nettle is more for Vit k although alfalfa is supposed to help with that too :) Is hould have clarified better lol.

Yes, a baby in the caul would have been SO AWESOME!

Lala...