JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   When you started learning about Homebirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/389368-when-you-started-learning-about-homebirth.html)

abigailsilva December 4th, 2006 08:41 PM

What ideas, concepts, or facts suprised you most when you came to the concept of homebirth? As i stated somewhere else, I think that plazagna freaked me out the most. I found lotus birth surprising.....now those things all seem pretty normal to me, and NOW what shocks me most is that i EVER gave birth in a hospital, LOL! I can't believe that used to be my normal, ya know??

The first homebirth story i ever read, I didn't KNOW was a homebirth story...i didn't really know people DID that.....and she starts laying out towels on the bathroom floor, like she was going to have the baby on PURPOSE there, and i was like HUH!? I don't know that I actually understood that she never meant to go to the hospital until the end, and I was like....oh. Ok. :P Silly me! But then it was all so calm and beautiful, that I was like, wow. I have to do that!

samu2 December 5th, 2006 05:02 AM

It surprised me how many more people homebirth than I thought.I know no one who has had a HB IRL but then my midwife was telling me this year alone has seen a massive increase in the rise of HB's and they encourage it in low risk women.

I was also surprised to hear how safe it is,even safer than a hospital birth.A year ago I would have said no way to a homebirth thinking they were dangerous.There needs to be more education on it for sure.Ive also been shocked by the ammount of women who think people are crazy for going unmedicated like we are doing something so brave-while it is kinda brave it is also natural so I do have to laugh when women say we are mad for not wanting meds because they couldn't cope.I want to yell "women have been having unmedicated births for centuries" it is not bravery,it is just letting your body do what it was made to do.

Not that I have a problem with people who use pain meds,each to their own,but I resent the "you are crazy" comments because if I told a women she was crazy for getting an epi I bet they would be up in arms.It seems like it is OK for people to call US crazy but you comment on their birth choices we get accused of trying to be superior.

Well that is my experience away lol.

Candice December 5th, 2006 04:55 PM

Well.. as you all know I've just started on my path of homebirth.. but I think the placenta tonic stuff is a little odd.

But I think what i like the most about a home birth is that The woman isn't being TOLD what to do.. the midwifes or the doulas aren't there to push ideas on to the birthing woman.. but rather just supporting her.. letting her choose what is best.

I loved reading about how they allowed the placenta to stop pulsating before the cut the cord. I actually read a homebirth where the mother left the Cord and placenta attached until is had curled up and started drying.

I have a friend who had a homebirth and she said it was the best thing she ever did... she discribed such a warm and natural thing that happend.. that I want that too for my next baby.

abigailsilva December 5th, 2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Well.. as you all know I've just started on my path of homebirth.. but I think the placenta tonic stuff is a little odd.

But I think what i like the most about a home birth is that The woman isn't being TOLD what to do.. the midwifes or the doulas aren't there to push ideas on to the birthing woman.. but rather just supporting her.. letting her choose what is best.

I loved reading about how they allowed the placenta to stop pulsating before the cut the cord. I actually read a homebirth where the mother left the Cord and placenta attached until is had curled up and started drying.

I have a friend who had a homebirth and she said it was the best thing she ever did... she discribed such a warm and natural thing that happend.. that I want that too for my next baby.[/b]

Exactly! I'm not cutting the cord till the placenta delivers. It is soooo beautiful and calm, that's the best part, i think i need white christmas lights for mine :smile:

Candice December 5th, 2006 08:53 PM

OOHHHH I like that idea!!! Twinkle lights..... nice!

MrsPil December 6th, 2006 01:25 PM

The first homebirth story I ever read was an ecstatic birth where the woman orgasmed with every contraction. That, quite frankly, freaked the hell out of me. I would love to have that though lol. Everything else just made to much sense to be shocked by it.