JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   How many people (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/399488-how-many-people.html)

abigailsilva December 14th, 2006 08:32 PM

Were/will be present at your birth? If it's already happened were you ok with all of them, or were there too many?

LaLa December 14th, 2006 08:49 PM

Lets see with my first (in the hospital) there was my mom & my moms best friend/neighbor. PLUS the dr, and the slew of hospital staff.

With my second - at home - we had:
me, DH & my son
My MW & her assistant
My Chiro (who is also a good friend of mine) and an intern of hers
My doula
My cousin (to watch over my son)
My Bradley Instructor (she actually showed up at the VERY last minute)
I had a friend who was supposed to show up but we couldnt get a hold of her in time!

Honestly, although it sounds like a lot - most of them werent around while i was IN labor - only the MW & her assistant intermittently - my Chiro & her intern intermittently (my chiro videotaped) - my cousin came in every now & then to snap a few pictures - my DH & my Doula stayed with me almost the entire time.

We were a little nervous at first. That it woudl be too many people, too much of a distraction, people would be twiddling their thumbs, too many people who are in the know, too much pressure, etc.

BUT - it ended up working out great. i had a hard fast labor, so we put those extra hands to use boiling herbs, fixing hot packs, filling hte birth tub, preparing the room, etc. Then come labor, it was very quiet, some stood across the room & watched, some sat around the birthing tub quietly encouraging me. And all in all - it was really awesome. They were all very big natural birth supporters, and the energy in the room could be felt for days. It was just really really serene at the same time. Something really really cool about all these women there - all different ages- just hanging out to watch a baby be born. :)

Lala...

Candice December 15th, 2006 12:21 AM

Neither of my births were home births.. but here goes.

Kaitlyn

Me.. My father.. a nurse and a doctor (who were sitting around waiting for Kaitlyn to engage.... she was being stubborn.

Ella
Me (DUH!) My husband.. 2 nurses and a doctor. I was the only women on the L&D Floor that night.. so I had all of the nurses at my disposal... so it was kinda like having her at home... just I wasn't at home and It didn't smell like home....

samu2 December 15th, 2006 02:17 AM

I have to have two midwifes for my homebirth,my SO,possibly my mum and probably a student.I have agreed to allow a student present and my m/w is happy one of them should get to see their first homebirth.

The 2nd midwife doesn't have to turn up until the pushing stage but as I progress so quickly and only push twice she will probably get there quite early.

Oh if I do labour even quicker than my other births I may just end up with my three kids there too.I hope not LOL

My sister had a unplanned homebirth last year,20 min labour,she had her 5 kids there,her mum,her partner,her ex husband and her sons 2 friends LOL so quick she just had to squat down in the kitchen and deliver baby herself.

Butter December 15th, 2006 05:58 AM

Ani (hospital) - Mommie, Daddy, Jamie, OB, nurse, maybe other people. Don't remember.

Cameron (freestanding birthing center) - Jamie and midwife, Mommie and Ani were outside and missed the actual birth (he came very fast)

Fritz (home) - Mommie, Daddy, Aunt Susie, Ani, Cameron, Jamie, my midwife, and her assistant, so 8. It was great. I like surrounding myself with supportive people during my births.

MrsPil December 18th, 2006 10:15 AM

If all goes according to plan it will be:
me (obviously)
DH
my friend Lauren (taking pictures)
my friend Rachel (massage therapist)
and MAYBE my friend(s) Bre, Tara, or Brenda... I have a feeling if I need support they will be who I call.