JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Did your Homebirth Go as planned? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/418647-did-your-homebirth-go-planned.html)

abigailsilva January 5th, 2007 07:05 AM

Was it what you expected? Why or why not? What would you do to change things next time?

Butter January 5th, 2007 08:52 AM

It was exactly as planned except later than I would have liked (due 7/1, had him 7/11).

LaLa January 5th, 2007 08:56 AM

mine went wonderfully. my only thing Id change is i would hav eliked to have more energy so I would have had things a little better prepared. We forgot a few things on our supply list (which wasnt a big deal we made do), and i had to do a lot of washing afterwards of baby clothes (nothuing to do withthe homebirth of course lol). And I wish Id have hada better ped but again - nothing to do with the homebirth, more like my pg brain lol.

hmm... i cant think of anything id have done differently really. Oh yeah - had a tshirt on hand & some ink so that when she came out, we could have stamped her footprints onto a tshirt :) We forgot to do that, but we did do it a few weeks later lol.

Lala...

abigailsilva January 5th, 2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

mine went wonderfully. my only thing Id change is i would hav eliked to have more energy so I would have had things a little better prepared. We forgot a few things on our supply list (which wasnt a big deal we made do), and i had to do a lot of washing afterwards of baby clothes (nothuing to do withthe homebirth of course lol). And I wish Id have hada better ped but again - nothing to do with the homebirth, more like my pg brain lol.

hmm... i cant think of anything id have done differently really. Oh yeah - had a tshirt on hand & some ink so that when she came out, we could have stamped her footprints onto a tshirt :) We forgot to do that, but we did do it a few weeks later lol.

Lala...[/b]

NICE! Did you have the footprinter thing also? I got one in my birthkit, i like the t-shirt idea a lot better though! When my little bro was little, my mom and the doula did his nursery together and it had a chair rail border all along one wall and they did his little newborn prints all along the wall, little goober slept right through it!

Quote:

It was exactly as planned except later than I would have liked (due 7/1, had him 7/11).[/b]
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of! LOL!

LaLa January 8th, 2007 05:36 PM

Yeah it came in our kit with a little "birth certificate" to stamp his feet. We stamped the certificate, then the tshirt :)

Lala...

abigailsilva January 8th, 2007 07:33 PM

NICE!

roniwood January 30th, 2007 02:37 PM

Hello All.

My homebirth ended in a hospital with a c section. :( my midwife was a punk and when i called her to tell her i was in labor she told me i had to come to her because she couldn't come to me because of some trouble she was in (based on a previous birth 7 years before- a bunch of hooeey) anyway, we drove 2 1/2 hours after i had been in labor for 6 hours and i labored there for about 30 hours and she broke my water and i was in transisition forever and wasn't allowed to push because i wasn't dialating and she wasn't helping so i had run out of energy after 36 hours and transfered to the hospital where i had an epidural and they told me to wait a while to see if the swelling in my cervix went down (which it didn't ) so they did a section. Totally not happy about it but my baby is healthy and we are ttc #2 which will be born in a birth center provided by a midwife. she isn't allowed to practic in alabama because there is no licensing so we must go to tennessee to have our baby. boo. by the time #3 rolls around it should be legal here. anyway, that's my story. sorry it's so long.

jhmomofmany January 30th, 2007 03:47 PM

Oh, man. I'm really sorry about that. You're in Alabama? My first homebirth was attended by a midwife in AL. You can PM me if you want more info on how we kept it "legal".

My first homebirth went very well, although there were still too many people. I didn't realize that the midwife would be there along with two assistants, and it wasn't nearly as private as I would have wanted. We decided to go unassisted for #6 which ended up being a stillbirth. Considering that, it definitely didn't go according to plan. It was still the most private and sacred birth... in the middle of it I honestly "forgot" she had already died. I am only sorry we had to experience such a wonderful birth but with a negative outcome. Sorry- that sounds really sick and wrong... it is hard to explain, I guess. :(

Isaeph January 30th, 2007 04:15 PM

Mine went exactly how I wanted it. I prayed so specifically for things (to labor through the night, to have dd minutes before ds woke up, and a break during labor) all of which God mercifully provided! I would totally do it again just the same! I wouldn't change a thing, except I'd probably have an unassisted pregnancy and not see a caregiver unless God led me to. Here in OR you don't have to have the pg medically documented, so I'm having my neighbor sign for me to witness the pregnancy so I can get dd's birth certificate.

Butter January 31st, 2007 06:40 AM

I thought of something else I'd change. I wouldn't have made so much food. Almost none of it got eaten!

JoyfulChaosMama January 31st, 2007 12:23 PM

I gave up on my 'plans' and just go along with the plans of that particular birth and baby. I've had some doozey labors, one was 44 INTENSE hours, born in one push though! One I was in transition, at 9cm, posterior baby for 5 hours. (big baby too, 9lb.14oz.) My 8th, birth was just fine and uneventful until the very end, she was out, breathing, laying between my knees, when a HUGE GUSH of fluid poured out of me, hit her in the face, she inhaled so much and went into respitory distress. Ended up taking her to the ER, then a 4 day stay in the NICU where we were treated like dirt.

So, I don't have many 'plans' when it comes to labor and birth. I cover all my basic bases, some food, someone to be with the other children, birth kit, rosaries, music, etc... but from there, I just go with the flow.

DahliaMarie January 31st, 2007 07:35 PM

Not at all. Mine ended up a transfer after 45 hours, where my son was born after hour 50 in a hostile hospital environment. My midwife talked me into breaking my water (all the way, I had a small tear already) at 3 cm, and then gave up on me and suggested a transfer when I was weak and worried. There are many many things I would change, but I am greatful my son is here and healthy.

My next birth will be a homebirth, probably UC.

MrsPil February 2nd, 2007 10:16 PM

Mine wasn't exactly what I expected... But what ever is? It went really well, I just had different support than I thought I would and I was a little, erm, louder than I thought I would be. But I wouldn't have it any other way!

JoyfulChaosMama February 3rd, 2007 03:47 AM

Stephanie, I'm a very vocal birther too, like a sick cow in the pasture my husband says! LOL!

jhmomofmany February 3rd, 2007 09:02 AM

like a sick cow in the pasture my husband says

Oh, my! LOL! Are you tempted to tell him you'd like to see him do a quieter job? :D

MrsPil February 3rd, 2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

like a sick cow in the pasture my husband says

Oh, my! LOL! Are you tempted to tell him you'd like to see him do a quieter job? :D[/b]
LOL that's what I'd be asking!!!

I was quiet through all of my contractions so Greg never heard me get loud, my Mom however... She may have permanent hearing loss. I don't think I could make that same noise again if I tried!

jhmomofmany February 4th, 2007 09:49 AM

When giving birth to our fifth, I thought I was absolutely roaring. Turns out all that noise was in my head... DH said I was actually not loud at all. :smile:

Edit... "loud", not "load", LOL!