JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Renting a pool... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/418894-renting-pool.html)

Hey There January 5th, 2007 09:53 AM

Hey guys-

I've never posted here before so here's a little run down on my situation before I get to my question. My husband and I have been married 3 years and are just starting to think about TTC. We are both chiropractors and are not into drugs, hospitals, unecessary surgeries...So, we are for sure going to have a homebirth when I get pregnant. My question (finally I know~sorry for being long winded) is...for your homebirth, did you rent a water tub to have it in? If you did, was it any different then a regular birth? Just wondered what your perspective is! Have a great day!

abigailsilva January 5th, 2007 11:54 AM

HI! Welcome! So glad to see you here, maybe you can answer my questions about taking babies to chiropractors instead of peds....I have not YET had a water birth. I am doing that in about 5 weeks. My MW is bringing her aquadoula, which looks AWESOME! I know we have a couple waterbirth veterans here though, lala, shawna?

Hey There January 5th, 2007 12:14 PM

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about babies and chiropractors. I treat a lot of babies that have a variety of problems...colic, ear infections, constipation. Most people have a misconception that babies get 'cracked' like adults. It's actually very gentle and babies are easy to adjust ie...it doesn't take a lot of force to correct their subluxations. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions. I'd say that the biggest difference between chiro treatments and peditrician's is that we don't prescribe drugs. I'm not saying that some babies don't need medicine but in general, we take more of a whole body approach. We try to get the babies nervous system and immune system to perform at it's maximum capacity. In my personal experience, medical doctors tend to treat the symptoms not neccessarily the cause.
ps-In reading my own post it is abunduntly clear I do not have any children. I referred to giving birth as 'have IT'. hope I didn't offend and I don't think babies are 'it's'!

MrsPil January 5th, 2007 12:54 PM

Welcome and hooray for chiropractors!!! May I ask where you went to school? (I'm nosey and I live right by Palmer)

Anyhow if you go assisted I'd ask your midwife about what she does for those who want waterbirths. If you go unassisted there are a lot of good places to buy from, I have some links but Shawna is the real pro when it comes to that, though many of them are out this time of year.
Some links:
http://www.birthwithlove.com/categories/it...uarian+Birthing
http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/pools.shtml
There are a few others I have that are just swimming pools, they are a bit cheaper but they aren't specifically for birth. You can also google aquadoula and they have a site you can rent from but they are pricey. Good luck on TTC and I look forward to reading more from you!

Hey There January 5th, 2007 01:28 PM

I went to Northwestern in Bloomington, MN. Good point about asking the midwife. I'm positive I'll have an assisted as this would be the first babe for DH and I. I'm in such a preliminary stage of all this but am one of those people that has to research everything from the beginning. Thanks for the info and the response. I'll apologize in advance for the millions of questions I'm sure to bombard you with!

abigailsilva January 5th, 2007 05:30 PM

No ma'am, don't apologize, there are FEW things I love more than answering questions! I'm passionate about birth done the way it should be...treated as a magical blessing and not as a medical condition. I agree about pediatricians and the way they treat...I'm not planning on vaxing this child and I can't think of anything that the peds ever did for my DD besides give her shots. She got a eye thing once and they prescribed a goo to put in it, they didn't believe me when I said it made it worse. I put milk on it and it cleared right up....go figure. I too believe that if you are taking the best care and your body is functioning at it's best, there isn't much you can't do, and drugs are not usually necesary.

It's totally ok that you called it an it. LMAO though....i think I refer to it as an IT until i at least know the sex.

Kimbo January 5th, 2007 09:49 PM

For my planned waterbirth I bought an inflatable pool that has been specifically designed for birth. It's called "La Bassine" and you can check it out online at www.madeinwater.com. It was designed in the UK by a woman who birthed all her children in water. It is deeper than the standard inflatable and because it was designed for birth it has handles for resistance when you get to the pushing stage. It looked really great, but unfortunately I can't give you a personal testimonial as my birth did not end up in water as I had planned. It is actually kinda funny... sorta... In my circle there were three of us who were planning home waterbirths and purchased the same pool. One of us inflated it, but did not even get to fill it. I managed to get mine filled with water, but never used it. My other friend got the furthest... she inflated it, filled it with water and got in... for two contractions and then decided at the last minute that she didn't want to give birth in water. Anyways... I still think it is worth checking out.

Kimbo

abigailsilva January 6th, 2007 05:22 AM

Quote:

For my planned waterbirth I bought an inflatable pool that has been specifically designed for birth. It's called "La Bassine" and you can check it out online at www.madeinwater.com. It was designed in the UK by a woman who birthed all her children in water. It is deeper than the standard inflatable and because it was designed for birth it has handles for resistance when you get to the pushing stage. It looked really great, but unfortunately I can't give you a personal testimonial as my birth did not end up in water as I had planned. It is actually kinda funny... sorta... In my circle there were three of us who were planning home waterbirths and purchased the same pool. One of us inflated it, but did not even get to fill it. I managed to get mine filled with water, but never used it. My other friend got the furthest... she inflated it, filled it with water and got in... for two contractions and then decided at the last minute that she didn't want to give birth in water. Anyways... I still think it is worth checking out.

Kimbo[/b]
That baby is just TOO cute, i could eat her up!

Motherbird January 6th, 2007 04:38 PM

I rented a birthing pool - twice actually. It was great. There is nothing like a waterbirth! If I ever have another homebirth, I wouldn't hesitate to rent the pool again.

ShawnaCAN January 6th, 2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Hey guys-

I've never posted here before so here's a little run down on my situation before I get to my question. My husband and I have been married 3 years and are just starting to think about TTC. We are both chiropractors and are not into drugs, hospitals, unecessary surgeries...So, we are for sure going to have a homebirth when I get pregnant. My question (finally I know~sorry for being long winded) is...for your homebirth, did you rent a water tub to have it in? If you did, was it any different then a regular birth? Just wondered what your perspective is! Have a great day![/b]

We bought a pool from our midwife and used it for two births.

I had my first two in hospital "dry" (no water) and my last two at home in the pool. The difference was like night and day! I tore with my hospital births, but not my waterbirths. My post partum bleeding stopped weeks sooner than it did with my hospital births. Minimal swelling after birth compared to 2 days sitting on ice packs at the hospital! The water really does cut contraction pain in half!

If you're the kind of person who likes a nice warm bath when stressed or in pain - waterbirth is for you!

Another bonus, all the mess is contained to one spot. Drain the pool, mess is gone. :)

LaLa January 8th, 2007 05:35 PM

Hi!

One of my good friends is a chiropractor & attended my water birth!

I got my birth tub from www.yourwaterbirth.com - its the La Bassine. Its cheaper than renting most birth tubs & was perfect in every way!

Check it out! Hope you stick around & we get to read your awesome birth story soon!

Lala...