JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Mainstream spinoff (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/432451-mainstream-spinoff.html)

abigailsilva January 17th, 2007 12:35 PM

Ok, so every single person in my DDC are getting routinely checked by their docs every week after 36. We ALL know it means nothing, so why do they do it? Why are doctors setting women up to feel inadequate? It seems to me like that's the goal...b/c that is what it does, they are checked over and over and are no more dilated, and end up feeling like their bodies are failing when all that's going on is THEY ARE NOT IN LABOR!!!! That's why they aren't freakin dilated!!! Jeez, and one of them had their membranes "routinely" stripped, WITHOUT CONSENT, they were checking her and just did it! How does that not border on rape? OMG, i'm getting so mad, anyone else?

MrsPil January 17th, 2007 05:27 PM

What makes me as mad as stripping without permission are the women who just blindly accept that they're doctor says we are doing this and so they think it's routine. Ohhh, to me this just screams of trouble!

*:Onei*Chan:* January 17th, 2007 07:14 PM

Hey, I'm in your DDC and I dont get checks! LOL! Though trying to check myself has become increasingly interesting.....

abigailsilva January 17th, 2007 07:32 PM

You don't count, your my co-host and the original leader the dark side :devil:

Candice January 17th, 2007 09:56 PM

Ok that is just wrong! but my waters were popped while in labour with Ella when i really didn't want them to be... He basically came in and said "I'm doing this" did it and left.

I have yet to get past 36 weeks to have those "Routine" weekly checks.. so I don't really know how i feel about it.
The day before i had ella I had the doc check me because i was sure something was going on... and i was 3 cm! and then i was told that it ment nothing really.. that most women can stay at 3 cm for weeks before they go into labour. I knew better though... because i had my first early.. i know that anything past 2 cm ment that a baby was coming. What i hate is when Doctor's don't listen to their patients! I told my ob that i felt like i would have my baby really really soon.. and he told me that i was just nervous and nothing more... he went on vacation for a MONTH! and in 2 weeks I had Ella. That is the second time i've had my baby delivered by a complete stranger... GAH I HATE THAT! No one listens to me!! I think i would know!! don't you?

abigailsilva January 18th, 2007 05:42 AM

Quote:

Ok that is just wrong! but my waters were popped while in labour with Ella when i really didn't want them to be... He basically came in and said "I'm doing this" did it and left.

I have yet to get past 36 weeks to have those "Routine" weekly checks.. so I don't really know how i feel about it.
The day before i had ella I had the doc check me because i was sure something was going on... and i was 3 cm! and then i was told that it ment nothing really.. that most women can stay at 3 cm for weeks before they go into labour. I knew better though... because i had my first early.. i know that anything past 2 cm ment that a baby was coming. What i hate is when Doctor's don't listen to their patients! I told my ob that i felt like i would have my baby really really soon.. and he told me that i was just nervous and nothing more... he went on vacation for a MONTH! and in 2 weeks I had Ella. That is the second time i've had my baby delivered by a complete stranger... GAH I HATE THAT! No one listens to me!! I think i would know!! don't you?[/b]

See, that was YOUR choice, you listened to your body and knew you would be in labor soon, but honestly i have friends who walk around at 5-6cm for WEEKS and nothing..so it really depends on the person, but statistically, most of the time, it means jack. Also, dilating that much before even reaching 36 weeks IS pretty significant i think. He should have listened to you. It's like women are just numbers and names on charts, assembly line cervical checks....i SEE it coming! they want all women to just fit into these nice little criteria and don't take individuality or intuition into account, it's stupid.

JoyfulChaosMama January 18th, 2007 06:09 AM

And what most don't even realize is that these 'routine' checks can easily be the first dominoe to fall, setting off a whole slew of intervention because of what may or may not be found.

My SIL was one that was checked at 36 weeks, and her cervix was soft, and closed, perfect for a 36 weeker in my opinion, but it convinced her that she was never going to go into labor on her own, so she was induced at 38 weeks.

MrsPil January 18th, 2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

My SIL was one that was checked at 36 weeks, and her cervix was soft, and closed, perfect for a 36 weeker in my opinion, but it convinced her that she was never going to go into labor on her own, so she was induced at 38 weeks.[/b]
Oh that frustrates me to no end! There are so many girls in my blog ring who had their babies induced early and ended up with c-sections or really horrific birth stories. Why can't people leave well enough alone?

Butter January 18th, 2007 07:40 AM

My SIL was 4 cm at 36 weeks with her first. She was 5 cm a week before her daughter was born... 11 days late! Routine pre-labor checks are useless... of course my midwife didn't even check me while I was in labor either lol

abigailsilva January 18th, 2007 08:21 AM

my goodness i know it! soon they will all be getting their second and third membrane stripping, their water will break (prematurely) but they will say, YAY labor! and then when NOTHING happens, because their bodies were NOT ready, they will believe their docs when he says you need pitocin, then they will get the epi, cuz pit sucks, and then since they can't push effectively and they are on their freakin backs, they will either get a c-section or an episiotomy! They will walk away from birth believing that their bodies failed them when it was the system that failed them.

And they think WE are crazy...............

LaLa January 18th, 2007 08:57 AM

I couldnt have said any of it better myself!

Lala..

Butter January 18th, 2007 09:55 AM

You know, it really is no wonder women think they CAN'T birth without help.

Isaeph January 18th, 2007 11:11 AM

Yeah, I was a crazy self-checker. Did no good but make MAD! Hehe...I was like 2cm FOREVER, then 3 for a while, then my cervix flattened out some and was 2 (it was only 3 at the base when it was still LONG). I was 4cm for a few days (can anyone say longest days ever?). I just kept waiting and waiting for it to start, and I finally went into labor when I had given up hope and decided I'd be pg forever. I even put away all her clothes! And all this to have her born 4 days before her dd. A little pg crazy I was. I thought dilation meant everything but I'm convinced it doesn't mean as much now!

MrsPil January 18th, 2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I was a crazy self-checker. Did no good but make MAD! Hehe...I was like 2cm FOREVER, then 3 for a while, then my cervix flattened out some and was 2 (it was only 3 at the base when it was still LONG). I was 4cm for a few days (can anyone say longest days ever?). I just kept waiting and waiting for it to start, and I finally went into labor when I had given up hope and decided I'd be pg forever. I even put away all her clothes! And all this to have her born 4 days before her dd. A little pg crazy I was. I thought dilation meant everything but I'm convinced it doesn't mean as much now![/b]
It's all I can do anymore to hold back from checking myself, I hate that it's so engrained into me that cervical change means progress... I know I'll have the baby sometime in the net month or so, so why does it even matter??? Uff!

Butter January 19th, 2007 07:46 AM

It matters because the overdue days are the longest days of your life.

For me cervical change DOES mean I will have a baby shortly. I start labor high, hard, and closed. So when I checked myself and finally had some change I knew he'd be coming shortly. He came a day or so later. He was 10 days late. NOW those 10 days don't seem like much, but they were SO VERY LONG when I was pregnant.

MrsPil January 19th, 2007 09:26 AM

It's funny - being overdue doesn't seem that bad right now. I actually found it really liberating just to be away from my due date. I'm sure it's gonna start to get old sometime here, but for now... I'm just excited that I've been contracting more often!

MissyPrincessEha January 19th, 2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

Hey, I'm in your DDC and I dont get checks! LOL! Though trying to check myself has become increasingly interesting.....[/b]
:lol:

Quote:

My SIL was 4 cm at 36 weeks with her first. She was 5 cm a week before her daughter was born... 11 days late! Routine pre-labor checks are useless... of course my midwife didn't even check me while I was in labor either lol[/b]
YEP!!!! Tell it girl!!!

LuvEmm January 20th, 2007 08:58 AM

Quote:

Hey, I'm in your DDC and I dont get checks! LOL! Though trying to check myself has become increasingly interesting.....[/b]

Me either! ;) I don't get routine checks in your DDC! Heehee Was very happy my midwives don't do it. They agree that it doesn't change the outcome of when you go into labor and it only makes the mom antsy and frustrated. Like the fact that I knew I was 4 cm and 70% effaced for TWO WEEKS with DD! It made me go crazy thinking of what was going on and when. My friend had the same OB I did for her first and ended up with a c-section I feel was unneeded. The OB told her she wasn't dilating and just getting fatter so her body just doesn't labor. When does a woman's body not labor when pregnant??

aik0aik0 January 20th, 2007 10:31 AM

Ok so I've been having these 'checks" since 36 weeks (they hurt like hell).They tell me right now I'm a fingertip dialted and 60% effaced. So I said "that doesn't really mean anything does it because everyone is different and everything is so unpredictable right" and she said "well it is a good sign".To me it doesn't mean anything until you start having real contractions. I have an NST test scheduled 2 days after my due date (which is very accurate) and she said we could start making plans. I assume she means giving me pitocin which bothers me because although they guarentee contractions they don't guarentee dilation and that can lead to problems right? If I'm in labor and hear your babys in distress I think that will put me into panic mode and I can't handle that.I can't handle the thought of something causing him harm.I am very very uncomfortable but getting induced doesn't sound good to me.I read these horror stories.I am just so nervous about it all.

MissyPrincessEha January 20th, 2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

When does a woman's body not labor when pregnant??[/b]
Really! :lol: It just seems so simple, huh?

Quote:

Ok so I've been having these 'checks" since 36 weeks (they hurt like hell).They tell me right now I'm a fingertip dialted and 60% effaced. So I said "that doesn't really mean anything does it because everyone is different and everything is so unpredictable right" and she said "well it is a good sign".To me it doesn't mean anything until you start having real contractions. I have an NST test scheduled 2 days after my due date (which is very accurate) and she said we could start making plans. I assume she means giving me pitocin which bothers me because although they guarentee contractions they don't guarentee dilation and that can lead to problems right? If I'm in labor and hear your babys in distress I think that will put me into panic mode and I can't handle that.I can't handle the thought of something causing him harm.I am very very uncomfortable but getting induced doesn't sound good to me.I read these horror stories.I am just so nervous about it all.[/b]
Well yes, it is good. It is good for you! For you a fingertip and some effacement is GREAT! :) I think you know what you should do. My suggestion is to not use pit unless it is a last ditch effort to NOT have a section!