JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Considering seeing an OB (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/445254-considering-seeing-ob.html)

jhmomofmany January 28th, 2007 11:31 AM

I am thinking about seeing an MD just for an initial checkup. Pretty much the only reason I would do this is so that I could tell my mom and other well-meaning relatives that yes, I have seen a "real" doctor. There is a midwife about a half hour from us, but I do not know if we want this birth attended anyway. After loosing our daughter almost full term, I've realized that nothing is certain except for the futility of expecting things to go according to plan. Anyway, being able to tell mom that I've been checked out by the doctor could be good enough to keep her off my back the rest of my pregnancy. OTOH, I really don't want the doctor to actually do anything. :smile:

I'm just looking for some help weighing the pros and cons...

ShawnaCAN January 28th, 2007 11:36 AM

Why not? No harm done. I saw my regular OB for all prenatal care through both home birth pregnancies - and then my midwife only took over in the last few weeks. A weird situation because she lives 3 hours away, but it worked.

LaLa January 28th, 2007 12:28 PM

If youre a strong willed person, It cant hurt.

I saw an OB initially, he left the area, and I transferred to midwife care for my homebirht. However, she was an unlicensed midwife (a "lay midwife"), and so she was basically showing up as "support' from a legal standpoint. She couldnt transfer with us to a hospital and should an emergency arise, shed have to leave before EMTs got there though her assistant could stay as our "doula".

Anyways - I decided to get "shadow care" from an OB. I refused all testing, refused all vaginal exams, and the only thing he did were fundal height measurements and listen to the heartbeat, take my BP, and weigh me. I think he might have done a finger prick ONCE to test my hemoglobin, but thats all.

I delivered at home, and did go in to see him that afternoon so he could examine my tears - which I opted not to have stitched (and they healed wonderfully!)

Lala...

MrsPil January 28th, 2007 03:17 PM

As Lala said IF you are a strong willed person...

I know how hard headed I am and I can recall a post or two around here where Imentioned how much weaker, less confident, and less knowledgeable I felt after going to the OB. But when you have a concern it is a nice thing to be able to put your mind at ease, I know... So I leave saying it is entirely up to you - good luck with whatever your choice is!

jhmomofmany January 30th, 2007 12:15 PM

Thank you, each of you, for offering your opinions. I've decided NOT to see an OB as a matter of routine. I would have to go to the hospital clinic (OB travels from out of town once a month) and I really do not need to put myself on pins and needles. So, thanks again!

~Jennifer

JoyfulChaosMama January 31st, 2007 12:27 PM

Ya know Jennifer, I've been prayerfully considering this myself lately. Mostly now because of all of the bleeding I've been dealing with and the loss of one of the babies. I feel like I'd just want to see someone until this whole thing resovles itself. But when I think of actually sitting there in an office, talking to an ob (there are NO homebirth supportive OB's in our area, so I would have to lie to even get in), knowing they are going to want this test that test and the other test, and I'd have to decline decline decline, I don't think anyone would even take me! LOL!

jhmomofmany January 31st, 2007 05:51 PM

Lisa,
I was wondering how you are doing. The DDC is too chatty for me to even begin to keep up with, so I couldn't find if you had updated your post. How are you doing???

JoyfulChaosMama February 1st, 2007 04:54 AM

Jennifer, I'm doing okay, thanks for asking. It's been such a mix of emotions for me, and now I am struggling with intense worry over the little one that hung on. (I can almost feel St. Pio trying to beat the worry out of me! :lol: ) I haven't bled since last week. I've opted not to have another ultrasound until 12 weeks, even though everyone is saying I should have it done sooner ~ I don't understand why. I feel we'll have a much better idea of how things have progressed at 12 weeks.

Sept. DDC is quite chatty, I just check in every now and again, but I don't even try to keep up!

Hope your feeling well too. It's great to see you on the Homebirth board.

jhmomofmany February 1st, 2007 08:25 AM

Well, I can imagine the conflict of feelings you must have about loosing one twin. I am really sorry. St. Pio, pray for us!

May I ask, how do you get the ultrasounds done if you do not see an OB? Does your midwife arrange it? Is she part of a practice?

It's great to see you on the Homebirth board.

Yeah, we can actually get a word in edgewise here! ;)

JoyfulChaosMama February 1st, 2007 09:44 AM

No, she's not part of a practice, we are in a very midwife hostile area around here, even more hostile to homebirth and DEM's or CPM's. BUT, the imaging clinic is independent and the woman that owns it birthed her own babies at home years ago, so she allows my midwife (who is a CPM) to order ultrasounds. (now the whole beta hcg test, I totally had to lie on that one...)

jhmomofmany February 1st, 2007 10:05 AM

Well, that's neat that you have that access at least. I'm not convinced that routine ultrasounds are a good idea, but it sure would be nice to have access ICOE without having to go to the ER.

Where do you live? (If you'd rather not say, I totally understand! :smile: )