JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   These after pains you speak of! lol (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/454440-these-after-pains-you-speak-lol.html)

viXen February 4th, 2007 05:36 PM

So I was reading about how after pains are pretty much worse than labor. What do you mean exactly about after pains?

I know with Dakota, the day after she was born, if she even let out a noise, my cramps would get horrific and I would double over. I could barely change her they were so bad because she would start crying and I would then be in pain. I thought it had a connection with my milk, making my uterus contract.

Are these the after pains you guys talk of? The only thing the hospital gave me was motrin every 6 hours and let me tell you, it didn't help all that much.

abigailsilva February 4th, 2007 06:02 PM

I really didn't have that with DD, so I don't know. My MW has mentioned that EPO can be used for painful periods....could it help with that? Does anyone know? I know there is an herbal thing you can take for after birth that is supposed to help.

Kelllilee February 4th, 2007 07:21 PM

I dont know... I dont' remember having those with DD

Frelle February 4th, 2007 07:44 PM

they get worse with subsequent births. its easier the first time to shrink your uterus, gets harder each time.

I took motrin IB after Lily (2nd), but was in serious pain after Felicity.

Covered: Order some AfterEase from Jillian, the Precious Arrows birth kit lady. It really helped, and its all natural. Just to have in case you get afterpains.

JoyfulChaosMama February 5th, 2007 05:03 AM

I didn't experience them until my third. They are BAAAAADDDDD, and they get worse with each baby, so, I know what I am talking about!! LOL! I will admit, that I try afterease, RRL, and it's not long before I find myself moving on to Motrin. I hate to do it, but they are really bad, and I need to be able function at least a bit.

Motherbird February 5th, 2007 06:16 AM

I get afterpains when breastfeeding (which you're pretty much doing 24hr/day) for the first few days after the birth. They are bad, and get much much worse with each baby. It feels like labor all over again. Luckily it only lasts a few days or so. I found a heating pad and Motrin to be the most helpful to relieve some of the pain. Actually, I think the heating pad was even more essential than the Motrin.

LaLa February 5th, 2007 12:44 PM

Yep thats the ones! And yeah, they were pretty sucky with my second baby, just felt like period cramps with my first.

Lala...

jhmomofmany February 5th, 2007 01:38 PM

I don't remember then at all with my first two babies... Fortunately the after-ease helped this last time; made it bearable at least.

Isaeph February 5th, 2007 03:25 PM

I don't remember them with Trupie...but I had an epi with him and was probably still "protected" from pain. With Ele, OH MY GOSH...TERRIBLE. My son was sooo clingly that day too, so I nursed them both a bunch and everytime I just wanted to cry. I ended up taking some Tylenol and was back to not hurting after a few days.

MrsPil February 5th, 2007 04:09 PM

Yep those are the ones!!! AfterEase or it's equivilent helped mine, and a nice warm heating pad... And for me they were worse when I was nursing.

Butter February 5th, 2007 05:55 PM

Butter February 5th, 2007 05:55 PM

Yes. That's afterpains.

viXen February 7th, 2007 10:09 AM

Okay! I will have to make sure I get some of the AfterEase you all speak so highly of. If they were bad with Dakota, I can't even imagine how bad they would be with the next!