JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Hospitals are for the sick! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/504089-hospitals-for-sick.html)

kimberkin March 16th, 2007 02:47 PM

I'm new to the boards and I am due June 15. After a lot of searching and reading I have just about decided to go UA homebirth. (My state does not allow midwifes, the closest one is the next state over) This is my fourth pregnancy. My first daughter was 9lb 9 1/2oz & 24in. I had her natural after a HORRIBLE labor in the hospital. My second daughter was almost born at home, we barely made it to the hospital. She was 8lb 3oz and 23in long, also natural. My third daughter (to my horror they induced at 41 weeks) she was 8lb 6oz. Now the only doctor I feel comfortable with retired this month, and I got shirked off to a brand new doctor and once again a hospital with no options. You do it their way or they treat you like crap. No getting out of bed once there, iv, constant blood pressure checking, pulse monitor on finger, internal monitor (they break your water as soon as you come in), enema, catheder, lay on back, no walking, sitting, ect...They take your baby for 3 hours after birth and you don't get any chance to nurse (you can hold the baby for maybe five minutes), The list of horrors goes on. To top that off I am VERY unhappy with the new OB/GYN who comes from a learning hospital that are big believers on forceps/vaccume extraction/c-section. Since seeing him I have already felt "forced" To have a battery of blood tests ( which of course all came out negative) and have heard him gossiping to his nurses in the hall about other patients. I am a healthy woman having a baby! I'm not sick! So after research and reading a lot of posts here, I am feeling more empowered to doing this at home as an "oopsie" (once again, my state is harsh, especially my county).
Sorry for all the venting! But I think I am really going to like it here. :wub:

StudentMidwife06 March 16th, 2007 05:45 PM

Congratulations!

That sounds like a Horrible doc/hospital!

Joni927 March 16th, 2007 06:16 PM

I agree! And I, too, feel so much better about my decision after reading others' thoughts. :smile:

abigailsilva March 16th, 2007 08:47 PM

AMEN! I'm so glad you here, what an empowering decision, i felt very similar! Welcome! Are you married? HOw does SO feel about your decision?

kimberkin March 17th, 2007 02:09 PM

SO usually tries not to go against my wishes, but he literally faints at the sight of too much blood... :frown:
But my sister is pretty supportive. My mom is still on the fence, shes the "freaking out" type...
I am much more calm in the mist of things, a definate planner.

abigailsilva March 17th, 2007 08:21 PM

I'm the same way. Dh is the woozy type too, he fainted during our hospital birth, TWICE! But this time, he was amazing, truly my strength. he told me after that the whole thing was so natural that he never even thought about it being gross or scary. Don't worry.

kimberkin March 19th, 2007 09:09 PM

After watching my second dd's birth tape (made in the hospital) today... Mom is TOTALLY on board!!!
Which is just awesome. Sister is also on board so I feel mucho better now. Mom is actually getting excited and talking about helping get the birth kit together. DH will be mainly tending to the kiddos I bet, but we'll see. Maybe just being outside of the hospital setting will help him a lot. :D Just about 3 more months to go! Woohoo!

Motherbird March 23rd, 2007 06:59 AM

You can do it! How great that your mom is so supportive.

Congrats!

Willowkarr March 23rd, 2007 07:22 AM

I think you have made a GREAT decision...this coming from someone who IS having a hospital birth too!! Your hospital and new OB sound horrible, that is just way tomuch stress to be going through when you are supposed to be doing one of the most important things in your life!! I am very grateful that I love my midwife and trust her so much. I have NEVER seen an OB, and this is my 4th child (9th pregnancy). I don't ever intend to go to an OB either. I am having my baby in the hospital, however, I really trust everyone there (except for one new nurse, who I didn't have w/ the other 3....she scares me a little, lol), love the surroundings, and I know they will follow all of my natural birthing wished, unless ABSOLUTLEY medically necessary. I have done my research and know what is medically necessary, and what is just for their convenience. I think you are doing a great thing!! Stick around here, and make sure to do your research, you can have a wonderful birthing experience w/o all the horrors that your OB and hospital want to put you through.

MrsPil March 28th, 2007 10:44 PM

Just wanted to say congrats on deciding to UC - it is an awesome way to give birth and I think you're gonna love it!
Also WTG with having your mom on board - moms are incredible allies and who knows maybe she'll even catch the baby!

AlexasMom April 8th, 2007 06:20 PM

I want to say congratuations to all of you and it makes me happy to know their are others who believe in natural childbirth. I actually got banned from another forum site because most women their believed in hospital births with medications that are "heavenly" and it made me sick. I tried posting the cons of epidurals and my comments were appreciated. I had a natural childbirth in a hospital a year ago. I think it is wonderful that you plan to deliver at home. I am proud to be a "natural" mommy and know that their are others out there! :)

jessjillmama April 13th, 2007 11:44 AM

WTG!! I wish I could do that but I am not prepared for that. Like you in my state its not allowed. I am planning to drive to Texas where I can birth with a midwife.

Wishing you all the best with your birth!