JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Do you PKU? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/525373-do-you-pku.html)

abigailsilva April 3rd, 2007 06:12 PM

We didn't get nay testing done other than the PKU, and we refused the Vit. K, not that the midwife pushed or anything, what did ya'll do?

LaLa April 3rd, 2007 07:30 PM

We do PKU at one week (not the one a few days after - its not even valid until about 4 - 7 days or whenever you milk comes in)... and we decline Vit K, eye drops, and everything else :)

We didnt even clamp her cord which some peopel thought was odd, but I really dont see the need to.

Lala...

Frelle April 3rd, 2007 08:12 PM

after milk comes in, about a week post partum.

MrsPil April 4th, 2007 12:36 AM

Seeing as we have no family history of PKU and its occurance is rare we didn't test for it. And much to the shock and horror of my IL's we didn't do eye crap or vitamin K.

UrbanMomma April 4th, 2007 05:45 AM

PKU...yes, Vit K and eye drops ...no.

CrunchyMomma April 4th, 2007 08:32 AM

nope we didn't all we did was cord clamp (I have the strange fear the the babies guts will fall out if we don't) :blush:

kimberlypatton@msn.com April 5th, 2007 09:04 AM

I get both done. I would probably decline the Vit. K shot if I could breastfeed because the baby gets that from Momma's milk (esp. if the momma is taking vit K supplements). But I have a rare condition (neoplastic breasts) and can't produce ANY milk...so that's out for me. I do the PKU because I know someone that if they didn't get it their baby would have likely died, as she had a protein intolerance that is rare and was detected in the test. They were able to quickly turn her around and have her on a special diet for life and weekly blood draws to make sure the levels are where they're supposed to be. I know it's rare...but I figure, why take the chance? It's just a diagnostic test. I don't do any vaccinations though...but think now that my kids are older I'll do the Tetanus this year...NOT the DTP but just the two part one.

Butter April 5th, 2007 05:59 PM

We did neither. I took alfalfa while I was pregnant so I am sure Fritz had great clotting factors so vit K wasn't needed (don't circ either). I also figure there's probably a good reason why babies don't start making their own natural clotting factors until about 8 days old anyway.

Soap Lady May 1st, 2007 06:42 AM

We didn't do either.

dzt66 May 4th, 2007 11:42 AM

What is PKU? I am also the mom who just did everything I was told in the hospital and pediatrician's office.

MrsPil May 5th, 2007 06:26 AM

PKU is a genetic disorder that is characterized by an inability of the body to utilize the essential amino acid, phenylalanine. PKU testing is done in a heelstick but a lot of homebirthers don't get it done.