JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Hi ladies!!!! Visiting from fertility charting! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/536485-hi-ladies-visiting-fertility-charting.html)

diznynurse April 13th, 2007 04:18 AM

Good Morning and TGIF! So with my first I had to have a c-section after 9 hour of labor. My cervix only dialated to 4cm. Do you think that if I would've stayed home and had the assistance of a midwife and the relaxation at home I would've dialated completely and could've avoided a c-section? A little background, 2 weeks prior to my delivery date I had been dilated to 2cm and 75% efaced and never progressed on my own. I never felt contractions until they hooked me up to pitocin at the hospital, even after they broke my water.

Anywho, just wondering what your thoughts were. What do you think about delivery #2. All the docs say a repeat scheduled c-section,what do you ladies think? Do you think I could/should tempt a home delivery?

jhmomofmany April 13th, 2007 08:06 AM

It is impossible to say for sure that you c-section was unnecessary, but it is my gut instinct that almost all of them are avoidable.

The best thing for you to do is go ahead and talk to a midwife- more than one if possible. They can ask the pertinent questions about your previous labor/delivery and give their opinion as to whether your first section was necessary and if you are a candidate for a VBAC at home.

Good luck! :smile:

.H.e.a.t.h.e.r. April 13th, 2007 10:44 AM

probably. little seemingly unimportant interventions lead to bigger ones that lead to c-sections.

If you had been allowed to progress on your own in an enviroment you were comfortable with you probably would have been fine.

My c-section came when they decided to force me to push eventhough I wasnt ready (no urge to push and I was asleep when the doctor came in and said time to push.)

I'm not even pregnant yet and I've talked to midwives about possibly having a VBAC homebirth.

My friend had an unassisted VBAC not even a year after her unnecessary c-section and I know that the risks of rupture are not as high as doctors like to say they are.

MrsPil April 13th, 2007 11:08 PM

I can't say for certain but nine hours is *not* a long time for a first time mom to labor no matter how dilated/effaced you were at you previous visit. I was in labor w/ my first for 28 1/2 hours and I know moms who've gone much longer! So just by that I would say you section was probably (undoubtedly in my mind but I'm admittedly rather radical) unnecessary.

Homebirthers are generally very unlikely to transfer for a section even VBAC cases. I'd say it's worth giving it a go!