JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   I Think I Have Decided! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/552664-i-think-i-have-decided.html)

MamaAshley April 26th, 2007 07:46 PM

I'm so nervous, but I think I am have decided that my next baby, due in December, will be a home birth!!! I have spoken with a few midwives, and th eonly issue I see so far is that most of them want payment upfront, which I can not afford to shell out almost $3,000! So, i'm trying to find one that will work with our insurance, and go from there. As a doula, I have never attended a home birth, so this is ALL new to me. My first 3 births were hospital midwife births, and went great, but I think I want to try a home birth this time around and mix things up a bit. My mother, who lives with me, thinks i'm nuts, but that's okay! She knows once I get an idea in my head I won't stop till I do it! lol Any advice for me? Please share your thoughts/opinions/advice with me! Thanks!

Acadia April 27th, 2007 05:51 AM

Hi! I'm a first-timer myself, so I don't have much advice that these ladies won't explain better, but I wanted to say congratulations on your decision! I hope you get exactly the birth you want. :D

LaLa April 27th, 2007 06:00 AM

Talk with them and see if theyll spread your payments out, etc. We were going to put ours on a credit card even though we NEVER use CC's b/c it was just that important. Luckily, we lucked up financially, and came across some money we didnt expect & it all worked out but in the long run it was less than our copay woudl have been with a typical hospital birth.

Its possible perhaps to file along the way with insurance for visits, etc - and even though you might not be able to get them paid up front, you might be able to get reimbursed along the way & "soften the blow" so to speak :)

Or at least itll help with those CC payments if you put it on credit.

Lala...

UrbanMomma April 27th, 2007 09:38 AM

Congrats!! I am on my third homebirth!!! LOVE it!! Def ask the MW's about payment plans. The MW's I have used all took payment plans. I did find one that would take insurance and then my only out of pocket expense would have been for the birth kit. Every MW I have dealt with has said the same thing, they aren't in it for the $$.

abigailsilva April 28th, 2007 07:46 AM

Ditto to the pps, good MW are not in it for the money and will work with you. I know mine has done free births, bartering etc. it's about making hte joy of HB possible. CONGRATULATIONA! My whole family thought i was nuts, but now most of them get it. How's DH feeling?

Soap Lady May 1st, 2007 06:39 AM

Just wanted to say Congrats! I hope you have a wonderful birth experience! :D

MrsPil May 5th, 2007 06:39 AM

I know I'm a quack even in the HB realm, but since you're a doula and you've already had kids you probably know how it all goes you might consider a UC... No pesky fees that way ;)