JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Introduction (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/561611-introduction.html)

dzt66 May 4th, 2007 11:42 AM

Hi, my name is Kelly. I am 28, been married to DH for 7 years. I have two girls - 3 yr old and 22 mo old. I am a SAHM.

We are 16 weeks pregnant with #3. My first two births were hospital/epidural births. We have a midwife this time and are planning a home birth. I am very excited (and nervous) and glad that my expecting board pointed me to this home birth board. I look forward to meeting the home birth mommies and learning from you!

UrbanMomma May 5th, 2007 11:07 AM

Hi..congrats. I am Jen, I am expecting my seventh baby in August and planning my third homebirth. This is a great board, and fairly active for a homebirth forum....some boards I have been to have HB forums but they are really slooooooow!

MrsPil May 5th, 2007 07:33 PM

hello and welcome please excuse my typing NAK... I had my first baby in an unassisted homebirth in January. Please feel free to ask any questions this is a great group of ladies & I know we are all happy to help whenever possible :)

jhmomofmany May 6th, 2007 09:22 AM

Hi and it is nice to meet you! I've had four hospital births, a m/w attended homebirth, and an unassisted stillbirth at home. We are planning another homebirth in the fall.

May I ask, what led you to choose homebirth this time?

dzt66 May 6th, 2007 12:06 PM

Thanks ladies!

I chose homebirth this time for a few reasons. I had epidural with both deliveries. The first one only worked on one side. Then this last one really messed me up. It was inserted wrong and they punctured the wrong thing. I had a spinal headache. That basically means that I was leaking spinal fluid and my brain was resting on my skull for lack of fluid. I could barely walk to the bathroom.

So they did a blood patch on me 2 days after I delivered. That is where they take blood from my hand and re-insert it into my spine again through an epidural. That clots the hole they made and stops the leaking. It didn't work. SO they sent me home and asked me to wait a week to see if I felt better. It was the worst week of my life. I had this beautiful new baby and couldn't walk. So I had to have a 2nd blood patch which did work.

So... I decided I never wanted anything else in my spine so long as I could help it. I wanted a natural birth experience. I figured nothing could be as painful as what I went through physically and emotionally losing that first week of my daughter's life.

I knew going to a hospital was out of the question because they hook you up to too much and offer you drugs at your weak moments. So I decided on a home birth. My aunt delivered 3 of my cousins at home and one of my cousins just did her first home birth.

I am excited. Reading up on stuff has made me even more excited. Before I saw the delivery as something to just bear and get through. Now I am feeling it is going to be an experience I anticipate.

Sorry for the novel but you asked!

Motherbird May 6th, 2007 04:27 PM

Welcome to the board and congrats on #3! Sorry to hear about your epidural nightmare, sounds awful! You are right, homebirth is a wonderful experience you will fully participate in, not just merely get through.

I'm Robin btw, have 4 children ( 2 planned hospital births, 1 home waterbirth, and 1 homebirth/hospital transfer) I'm pregnant with #5 and planning another home waterbirth. :smile:

jhmomofmany May 6th, 2007 07:23 PM

Yes, I asked and I'm glad you answered. :smile: I'm so sorry for what you went through. I had an epi for my #2, and although it "worked" I felt pressured into accepting it and it creeped me out being completely unable to move. You're smarter than I was, though... it took me two more attempts at natural birthing in the hospital before I figured out it just doesn't happen.

I am always interested in the journey of those who go from hospital to homebirth, so thanks for sharing!

dzt66 May 7th, 2007 06:51 AM

Jennifer - I didn't have time to make any more mistakes. I think we are done after this baby... unless it is another girl. Then my husband MIGHT be able to talk me in to trying one more time for a girl.

I visited your blog. You have a beautiful family. I'm so sorry about your loss last year. Can I ask about Hope - do you know what happened with her being still born? Forgive me for being bold.

My husband is a pastor and we live in south Florida, but I am originally from Toledo, OH. So I am jealous that you guys get snow and seasons where you are! I miss living in the north.

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement. As I near my birth I am sure I will be coming here with questions and advice!!! I have a blog too - it is linked at the bottom.

jhmomofmany May 7th, 2007 07:38 AM

No, we don't have any idea why Hope died... there was no apparent cause.

I loved all the pictures on your blog. Your girls are so cute!

We just moved up here from Alabama last year. Our families were taking bets as to whether or not we would "survive" our first winter up here. LOL! It has been a lot to get used to, but I really like it.

Soap Lady May 7th, 2007 09:24 AM

Welcome, Kelly! The ladies here are great! I hope you have a wonderful birth experience! :D

abigailsilva May 7th, 2007 09:53 AM

Welcome to the board. I am also fascinated by the transition from hospital to home. It is so awesome that you figured out that its nearly impossible to birth naturally in a hospital, it's liuke the term natural is relative there. I had a hospital epi birth with my first too, it sucked. and i too never imagined the joy i would feel about my birth once i made the hb choice!