JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Where do you fit on the homebirth scale? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/589119-where-do-you-fit-homebirth-scale.html)

CharmieCM May 29th, 2007 12:17 AM

I'm just wondering how many experienced homebirth mamas are here versus how many first time homebirth mamas are here.

See, now I feel like a real idiot because I made a poll where there's not an answer choice that fits me. That's what happens when you decide to do something like this after 2am! I chose "I've had one homebirth" but really I've had one birth center birth (my second birth; my first birth was in the hospital :P). I've ATTENDED many homebirths, but I've never felt that wonderful feeling of knowing I'm in labor and I DON'T HAVE TO GO ANYWHERE. I'm so envious of you ladies who get to do that!!

abigailsilva May 29th, 2007 05:41 PM

I have had one HB, will do it again next time, and the next, and the next........are you planning it this time? What has stopped you in th epast?

CharmieCM May 29th, 2007 08:33 PM

I'm the only midwife in the area and I've only been in practice a little over a year. I've lived here 6 years and my second son was born 1.5 hours from here at a birth center (the closest midwife available, but she's not able to travel to where I live).

For my next...I don't know. I'm the only midwife here, but I CANNOT see leaving my house to have a baby!! DH wants a UC but I know too much. We'll see. It's been 2 years and I don't see a baby on the horizon too soon, so I have time to figure that one out!!

Frelle May 29th, 2007 08:54 PM

one hospital birth, vaginal, no meds
two home waterbirths
planning third home waterbirth

ShawnaCAN May 30th, 2007 12:20 AM

2 hospital births and 2 home waterbirths here. If there are more, we will have them at home.

Soap Lady May 30th, 2007 03:58 AM

I guess I'm pretty high on the scale. I had a homebirth for my first and plan to do the same for future children. I am very thankful that I found a direct-entry midwife who was great. If I hadn't found her, I probably would have had an unassisted birth for my first.

MrsPil May 30th, 2007 08:59 PM

just had my first baby UC'd in January :)

Alison79 May 31st, 2007 05:02 PM

I've had three induced hospital births with epidurals. This will be my first homebirth :)

tim_horton June 1st, 2007 05:02 AM

Had one home birth. Will never give birth again. Should I happen to become pregnant, will be in the hospital with all the pain meds I can possibly get my hands on.

mommy2evan05 June 1st, 2007 07:15 AM

First was supposed to be an in-hospital birth center, became a regular hospital birth with all the trimmings. :cry:

all future babes will be a UP/UC

DahliaMarie June 1st, 2007 12:53 PM

I have one child, a planned homebirth turned hospital transfer. All future births will be planned as homebirths.

Isaeph June 1st, 2007 08:03 PM

Had one hospital birth...never again unless I'm having an emergency c-section because one of us is dying.
DD was born unassisted at home. All future babies will be uc/up barring complications.

irishxrose June 3rd, 2007 04:43 AM

I lurk here, so I guess maybe I should answer. I have had a hospital birth and it was a horrific experience for me, so I plan on having a homebirth for the next baby.

kimberlypatton@msn.com June 5th, 2007 09:18 AM

I had my first two in a freestanding birth center and this last one at home. I would choose home over a birth center ANY DAY!!! I had misgivings initially but I am SOOO happy I chose to do this at home this time around. It was WONDERFUL. Of course, having an awesome ND/Midwife attending made it especially great. My children were there along with my husband (of course) and my mother. It was super all around. The things I thought would be distractions...like cleaning house, the children, etc etc etc actually ended up being strong points to the whole process...and pleasant diversions...not irritating distractions. If we have any more (hopefully) it will definitely be at home.

CharmieCM June 5th, 2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

I had my first two in a freestanding birth center and this last one at home. I would choose home over a birth center ANY DAY!!! I had misgivings initially but I am SOOO happy I chose to do this at home this time around. It was WONDERFUL. Of course, having an awesome ND/Midwife attending made it especially great. My children were there along with my husband (of course) and my mother. It was super all around. The things I thought would be distractions...like cleaning house, the children, etc etc etc actually ended up being strong points to the whole process...and pleasant diversions...not irritating distractions. If we have any more (hopefully) it will definitely be at home.[/b]
I am so glad to hear someone say this! I felt the same way after my birth center birth: I would MUCH rather have had the option for a homebirth. So many people/clients say to me "I can't imagine having a home birth, but I might be okay with a birth center." I hope/plan to open a birth center one day, but my secret hope that that a baby is never born in that building because all of the mamas decide to switch to home ;).

Your baby is so new and sweet! I love your pictures!!

jhmomofmany June 6th, 2007 10:16 AM

I voted "more than one homebirth" although my last delivery was a stillbirth. So this will be my seventh birth- third homebirth. :smile:

MissyPrincessEha June 16th, 2007 03:33 PM

I had my first in hospital....it was a learning experience.

I had my second at home with just DH.

I plan to have a midwife for my next birth. But either way...I will not be in the hospital.

MountainMomma July 2nd, 2007 10:01 AM

I'm planning my first home birth. I had two induced hospital births. This time, I want to do it at home and just let my body advance at it's own pace unless the baby or I am in danger.

bubblesispreggers July 2nd, 2007 10:16 AM

I had my first baby at home with a CPM April 1st '07.