JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Maybe a home birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/621575-maybe-home-birth.html)

apanda June 24th, 2007 10:11 PM

I found out I'm pregnant with #2 and I'm already feeling sick to my stomach about making my appt with my OB. I normally would have done that by now. I am also running my experience in the hospital through my head and feeling sick. It wasn't THAT bad... really. In fact, it was probably the best I could have gotten for a natural birth in a hospital. That's what scares me. I actually ended up with a nurse who understood natural birth because her entire family did home births. I had a doula who was awesome. My labor went quickly (and I fooled everyone because I was relaxed and calm). The nurse was nice enough to manually hold the monitor on me when it wouldn't stay because I was moving around so much. Other than that, though... It sucked... having to stay 2 nights, the hard as a rock bed, no privacy, the nurses on the recovery floor, having a different OB there for the birth, my OB's attitude at my postpartum visit... UGH. I didn't sleep the entire time I was in the hospital... maybe an hour or two at most.

Anyway, I live in Missouri where midwifery has essentially been illegal. It is a very controversial issue and a legislator recenlty 'slipped' midwifery into a health insurance bill that passed and was signed into law at the beginning of June. Everyone is mad about it, however, since it was slipped through without many legislators realizing it was in there. Some medical organizations are threatening to sue and have the state supreme court throw it out. I'm hoping this all gets sorted out and I have some other options. I know people did home births illegally before, but that doesn't help me in the DH department. Anyone from Missouri who can offer some advice?

MrsPil June 25th, 2007 04:41 PM

We are considering moving to MO, the laws there are screwed up about midwifery but we UP/UC so it doesn't really effect us. I too had that sick in my stomach feeling about making any sort of prenatal appointment and so I didn't do it, but researched my butt off instead. If you feel like this is something that you would be open to I'd be happy to help in any way possible. :) Welcome to the board!

CharmieCM June 28th, 2007 08:17 AM

I urge you to look into midwifery in MO, regardless of legality. Legality is not an indicator of experience on the midwife's part, but it's a good indicator of a midwife's desire to help women. Also, it is NOT illegal for parents to choose a homebirth in ANY state. The legality issues affect the providers only, not the parents.

Another option would be to look into a birth center or homebirth at someone else's house over the border, depending on where you live in MO, of course.

apanda June 29th, 2007 08:04 PM

Woo-hoo! Good news! I talked to a midwife and will be setting up our first interview. I'm in the process of finding others to compare her with. That's the problem with midwifery being so restricted... Choice is very limited. And OBs have no competition or reason to be more accommodating. Midwifery will be legal at the end of August, I think. I'm pretty sure the midwife I spoke with was already operating legally and is the only one in the area like that. She sounds more medically inclined, but not birthing in a hospital and having a "caregiver" that lives up to that term is what matters to me most.