JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Frustrating (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/621915-frustrating.html)

UrbanMomma June 25th, 2007 07:12 AM

:)

azchela June 25th, 2007 02:49 PM

Yeah, I have gotten some negative reactions too.... I try not to even mention it around strangers (I am a work at home mom so i don't really interact with that many people every day).

My mom was tough to convince and she is still demanding to be here during labor and birth (she won't be but I am unwilling to muster the energy to have the fight with her). The last thing I need here is a person who doubts my decision!

I am lucky to be part of a strong home birth/natural birth community - there are at least 3-4 other moms in my prenatal yoga classes who are homebirthers and a very good friend of mine just had a great homebirth in May so she is constantly telling me I can do it and it's the right decision.

I know it's hard not to punch people who make rude comments (about birth plans, our belly size, whatever)...hang in there mama!!!

:dothug:

anitagupta June 26th, 2007 11:44 AM

I may not be able to do a homebirth because insurance doesn't cover it and here in Manhattan, it would cost be $8K. I am still trying to find a way though. However, I've cut my mother off the process because she yelled at me for wanting a homebirth.

jhmomofmany June 26th, 2007 05:06 PM

I avoid talking about it with strangers, too. Homebirth is a little more "typical" up here where so many people live far away from hospitals. If I were to plan a hosptial birth, the nearest L&D ward would be a 45 mile drive for me!

When I realized I was in labor with #5, I was excited enough that I called my mom right away. She knew I had been seeing a mw and planning a homebirth, but she still (even at the last moment) asked if I was going to the hospital. <_< With #6, especially under the circumstances, I didn't call her until after the delivery was complete. I don't plan to call until after baby is born this time. Part of why I birth at home is so that I don't have to defend myself and my choices at the hospital... why put up with that at home too?

UrbanMomma June 26th, 2007 07:13 PM

I know what you mean.....I don't discuss it with strangers, really. LOL These people who are being negative are people who already know I homebirth. Yes, my mailman knows and so does the cashier at the grocery store. :) I've known them both for years. Now I am getting "how are you going to have a home birth in August with no AC??" I just am..period. Theres the shower and I have plenty of fans. To me no AC is no reason to head to the hospital!!

You'd just think people would give up already...I'm on my third homebirth now and have no intention of returning to giving birth in a hospital!

jhmomofmany June 26th, 2007 07:55 PM

The A/C is their most compelling reason in favor of a hospital? Heck.... in that case maybe you should go to a hotel! It would be cheaper, and I bet the food and room service would be a lot better! LOL!

We have no A/C either, but somehow I'm just not convinced that I should reevaluate our plans. Oh, people are so funny! (But at the same time, it isn't funny...)