JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   I have a general question about pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/642826-i-have-general-question-about-pregnancy.html)

CTK3989 July 11th, 2007 08:51 AM

I was wondering, if you ladies want a homebirth(some assisted, some not- I would like an unassisted when I get pg again) and want to do it yourselves, why go to the doctor during pregnancy and have prenatal appointments? You can buy prenatal vitamins OTC and if you are experienced, you can measure your fundus yourself, and do self-checks yourself. Is all the testing and blood work really neccessary? Just wondering. Is this a ploy for doctors/medical officials/insurance companies to take our money?

**Disclaimer: I do know the good that prenatal appointments do. Testing for GD, GBS, fetal irregularities, ETC.

Chelci

jhmomofmany July 11th, 2007 03:35 PM

I stopped seeing my OB when I decided on our first homebirth. That was in the middle of my fifth pregnancy. When we decided to go unassisted last time, I didn't see either an OB or a midwife. I kept track of it all myself. I'm seeing a midwife for this pregnancy, but leaving my options open as to whether or not I will call her for help during delivery.

Butter July 11th, 2007 05:26 PM

I did most of the prenatal stuff myself when I was pregnant with Fritz, but I still saw my midwife a couple times (and she delivered him as well).

MountainMomma July 11th, 2007 08:03 PM

When I do get preggo, I will see my family physician frequently for check ups ONLY for my DH's benefit. He will be a first time Daddy, and is EXTREMELY afraid that something will go wrong. (we've had 2 early m/c so far). If he had his way I would be delivering in the hospital too. I drew the line though. I want to be comfortable during labor and delivery, and unless there are major complications......I WILL be at home.

anitagupta July 12th, 2007 01:15 PM

You're absolutely correct. If you're healthy and eat properly, theres no need for all this testing. If you're addicted to soda or sugar like like the tall Starbucks iced whatever, you might have GD. I knew I didn't have GD yet went through the test because I wanted to keep the option of birthing center open. I do want an assisted homebirth with my wholistic midwife - because she knows tricks like using castor oil a certain way to prevent tearing and stuff.

It is absolutely a ploy for people to keep their jobs with all this nonsense testing. And the tests are so inaccurate to begin with. They talk about "soft" indicators for Down's syndrome - a scare tactic for getting more expensive and invasive tests like amnio. I did the math and the probablity of my having a Down Syndrome baby was less than the probablity of a miscarriage from an amnio. They wanted me to come twice more for a level 2 ultrasound because "they couldn't get a good picture of his heart". So I should take off work, trek across town for a photo-op? Makes me so angry at the dollar-hungry, malpractice-scared, butt-covering doctors, and over-zealous politicians infested pre and postnatal system.

Quote:

I was wondering, if you ladies want a homebirth(some assisted, some not- I would like an unassisted when I get pg again) and want to do it yourselves, why go to the doctor during pregnancy and have prenatal appointments? You can buy prenatal vitamins OTC and if you are experienced, you can measure your fundus yourself, and do self-checks yourself. Is all the testing and blood work really neccessary? Just wondering. Is this a ploy for doctors/medical officials/insurance companies to take our money?

**Disclaimer: I do know the good that prenatal appointments do. Testing for GD, GBS, fetal irregularities, ETC.

Chelci[/b]

MrsPil July 12th, 2007 10:16 PM

Chelci I am a UP mama, I saw a doctor when I started feeling like I was having complications (I had intestinal irritation caused by acute fluoriosis or water poisoning, still not sure). There is nothing that a doctor does that is necessary that you can't find a way to figure out. Glucose/protein strips are available online and at a few pharmaceutical stores, you can take you blood pressure at Walmart, if you have a friend who's diabetic and you suspect that you have GD you can borrow a monitor and a strip and check your FBS.
If you have any questions about managing your own prenatal care feel free to PM me, there is a great UP/UC site and forums at bornfree.com with woman who can explain these things a thousand times better than I can (both Veganmama and Harvestgal migrated that way with their UCs).
I know that doesn't really answer what you asked but basically yes, it is a ploy, you can do it yourself, and we would love to help you!

UrbanMomma July 13th, 2007 10:19 AM

I am planning my third homebirth (due around the end of August) for my seventh child. I do have a MW attend, but she is very hands off....almost just to the point she observes and helps only if I ask her.
I have had prenatal care but it doesn't include the testing, no GD or GBS, etc..., and I am more than comfortable with that. My MW comes to my house, she asks me how I am feeling, meaures fundal height, listens to heart tones (with a fetascope LOL) and checks my BP. Other than that we just kinda chat. LOL
I watch my diet and "listen" to my body and the baby.

CTK3989 July 16th, 2007 10:40 AM

Thank you so much for answering my question ladies! I greatly appreciate it. I will definitely look into this for when I get pregnant again.

Chelci

azchela July 16th, 2007 08:36 PM

My MW handled all of my prenatal care. She can take blood and send it to a lab for all the necessary testing and i had one u/s at 20 weeks just to check major organs and anatomy (we didn't find out gender). Some tests, like Group B Strep, I chose not to do for various reasons. But in general my MW could handle any testing I needed or wanted.