JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Decided on homebirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/643518-decided-homebirth.html)

anitagupta July 11th, 2007 04:45 PM

Went to see birthing center midwife. She advised me not to fight hospital practices on horrifying stuff they do to newborns. She said they'd put me in the system with child protective services for upto 3 years. I was so turned off by the conversation.

Right after, I had an appointment with a homebirth midwife - she completely understood and addressed all my concerns. She doesn't induce just because "baby is becoming too big as its past due date" or "water broke" - can stay broken for days and the only caution there is if you're Group B strep positive, apply some vaginal cream so baby doesn't get infection. She herself delivered 3 days after her water broke. Theres no rush if labor "isn't progressive fast enough" or any such nonsense. hey're going to fight my insurance to get them to pay. If that deosn't work, I am responsible for $6K (not the $8K that I originally thought). I figured my baby is worth having a good start in life (hell I spent over 10K on my stupid bathroom) and will take out the home loan. Anyway, I've made my decision and homebirth it is.

home4mygirl July 11th, 2007 06:09 PM

Yay!!! Good for you! It's so important to do what you're comfortable with - it will make your labor and birth so much more relaxed and effective. If you're constantly worrying while you're in labor or somewhere or with someone you're not entirely comfortable with, it will be sooo much harder.
Oh, and on the water breaking thing - mine broke Saturday morning and I didn't have Trinity until Wednesday at 5:30 am. So, no worries, you just have to keep clean and no baths.
Good luck!!

Soap Lady July 12th, 2007 07:57 AM

I love what you wrote Anita. I agree that homebirth is the best way to start a new life. Your child's birth is something you will never forget, and it always saddens me when women live with regrets over their birth decisions.

MrsPil July 12th, 2007 09:58 PM

Congratulations!

CharmieCM July 16th, 2007 08:02 AM

YAY! I'm so glad this is resolved for you. I do hope your insurance will pay, but I agree that a good birth experience is worth that price. Keep us updated as things progress for you :).

MissyPrincessEha July 22nd, 2007 08:44 PM

There is nothing like a good and safe and simple birth for you baby! By protecting your child from the strange birthing practices of the hospital you are doing him/her a favor! It is a great start! It is the BEST start for most women and babies! Congrat's!

Alison88 July 27th, 2007 04:54 AM

Good for you on making the best decision for your family. Dh and I are ttc #2 and I am trying to get him to agree on a home birth for #2 because the trip to the hospital with dd was completely pointless and there is nothing that I could not have done at home. Plus I would avoid the car ride home and I use midwives so they come to me.

Best of luck!