JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Pediatrician Question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/650521-pediatrician-question.html)

dzt66 July 16th, 2007 05:37 PM

This is my first home birth. While at an appointment for my youngest daughter today, I explained I was having a home birth and asked my pediatrician how soon after the birth she wanted to see the new baby. She said within 24 hrs. I thought she would say like 2-3 days or something (which would allow me to go). That means I will have to ship my 24 hr old baby off with my husband by himself.

What have others of you done in the past? Of course I want to make sure the baby is okay, but I don't want to be away from him for an appt and travel time that could take about 1.5-2 hrs!

Am I being weird? What should I do?

bubblesispreggers July 16th, 2007 08:08 PM

Hi and congratulations on your pregnancy! :D Let me just start off by saying homebirths are wonderful and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

We actually found a pediatrician (through our MW) that made home visits for homebirth clients for the first visit. We didn't keep her as our pediatrician (although we've only seen our pedi once and Taylor is 3 and a half months old, I don't see a need unless she is sick and she hasn't been), we just used her for the home visit as an initial check-up. That is the best option, IMO. Your attending MW will do a very thorough examination of the baby after you initiate the breastfeeding, so it isn't absolutely necessary to see a pedi within the first 24 hours if you don't want to.

Is your baby going to have any injections? Is your MW going to come back on the day after the birth? Do you plan on having a chiropractor come to your house for an adjustment on the baby to re-align anything that got misplaced during the birth? Sorry so many questions! I could just give you a better answer with more info. :smile:

azchela July 16th, 2007 08:32 PM

I just had my first home birth - our ped. said she wanted to see the baby within 24 hours too - but I told her my midwife was licensed to provide immediate newborn care (which they are in our state) so we would not be bringing the baby in until she was 4 days old (she really didn't need to be seen until 2 weeks but I wanted to be reasonable).

Our midwife did the initial exam at birth and then did a home visit at 24 hours and 3 days and then we had a weight check at 1 week.

i would check and see if your midwife can provide that initial care and explain to your ped. that you are choosing not to bring in baby until he/she is XX days old. Hopefully the doc will understand. If not, keep shopping!!

MrsPil July 17th, 2007 12:46 AM

Many MWs I know are capable of looking over babes for the first 6 weeks. Frankly since we don't vaccinate I haven't ever taken Mariska to a western medicine practitioner. She has seen the chiropractor and that's good enough for me!

anitagupta July 17th, 2007 12:30 PM

The 24 hours thing is a standard response. You do not need to take the baby in for several weeks unless theres an obvious problem. Also, make sure you know the state laws. Certain paediatricians will coerce you into Vitamin K injection and antibiotic eye drops unless you tell them the mw or you already gave those to the baby. Thats precisely the reason why I am having a homebirth.

jhmomofmany July 17th, 2007 12:31 PM

Our homebirth baby, Thomas, saw the doc once when he was two weeks old. The only reason I took him in at all was so I had the proof I needed to file for his birth certificate. He's 3 1/2 and has never been to a doc since.

CharmieCM July 17th, 2007 01:41 PM

I always tell my clients that a good answer to this question is either one or two weeks. Your ped's answer indicates that she doesn't really understand what a midwife does. You see, in the hospital, every baby is seen during the first 24 hours and that's when the newborn exam is done, BY THE PED. A midwife does that examination (often sooner than the hospital does) and monitors baby's well being as well as mamas. I would not want my client separated from her baby at 24 hours, nor would I want her at the doctor's office unless something was wrong with baby.

I think the solution of saying "well, my midwife provides newborn care, so we'll be in a week after birth" is a good one. Another solution is to just be "too busy" to call and make that 24 hour appointment.

UrbanMomma July 18th, 2007 10:47 AM

My homebirthed babies didn't see a ped until two weeks.

Alison79 July 18th, 2007 07:34 PM

My midwife does complete care for me and the baby for the first 6 weeks. She does the initial exam, then comes back at 24 hours, 1 week, 2 weeks and 6 weeks. I don't remember with my boys how soon they were seen, but my daughter wasn't until she was a week old. I would schedule the appointment for a time frame that you feel comfortable with, especially if your midwife can do checks of the baby, too.

home4mygirl July 23rd, 2007 02:41 PM

Trinity didn't see the pediatrician until she was about 3 months (I think). The midwife saw her after the birth, then again at 6 weeks, then we started going to a regular pediatrician when she was 3 months to start vaccinations. I didn't even call to make the appointment until she was about 2 months old, so the pediatrician didn't really have a choice to see her any sooner.

kimberlypatton@msn.com July 23rd, 2007 07:01 PM

My midwife is also a ND so she does all my baby care. I won't ever see a pediatrician unless she refers us to one for problems that she can't handle herself.