JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   What would you do IF... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/666823-what-would-you-do-if.html)

kimberlypatton@msn.com July 28th, 2007 03:14 PM

You found out you were pregnant with twins???

I'm not, but it's something I've thought a lot about. I'd LOVE to have twins but I would HATE to be forced by law to have them in the hospital! I know that my midwife in the Seattle area had her twins at home with some out of country midwives attending (she flew them in). SO...just wondering what you would do??? I think I might try to have them at home if everything was normal and healthy but I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to do this without support! It's a tough question for me to answer. I guess if I had to decide TODAY I would probably have them in the hospital with midwives attending but I would HATE that!
So, for me I'm going to choose #4 since I would really have to search myself to see what direction was best at the time...

CharmieCM July 28th, 2007 03:36 PM

What a timely question...I keep asking myself what I'll do if I find out on Wednesday that we're having twins. The answer is that I'll have to cross that bridge. I would have to have them at home UC, because twin homebirths are illegal here. Another option would be to cross the border (20 minutes away) and have a midwife attended birth there. If everything was normal and I had the "perfect" set of twins as far as their amniotic sac and position, I certainly wouldn't want to give birth in a hospital here, because even a vaginal twin birth would have to happen in the OR "just in case" and they generally want you to have a spinal "just in case" also. *sigh* I love the idea of twins, but a singleton birth is much easier for me to sort out :lol.

MrsPil July 28th, 2007 06:42 PM

I'd almost definitely UC them at home. If not UC then still at home, but assisted by a DEM.

Alison79 July 29th, 2007 06:22 AM

I'm really not sure what I would do! I would prefer to have them at home assuming everything was normal and healthy. I could also see myself having them in a hospital attended by a midwife though. My concerns with the hospitals in this area is that there is such a high c-section rate. It wouldn't be an easy decision and I'd have to talk it over with my DH and my midwife and go from there.

UrbanMomma July 29th, 2007 08:40 AM

Homebirth with my MW's..they have done twin homebirths. Of course I am assumng it would be a healthy normal pregnancy.

Frelle July 29th, 2007 10:46 AM

my homebirth midwife delivers twins, so I would choose homebirth with a midwife. If there were reason for her to tell me that they needed to be born in the hospital, I would trust her judgement.

LaLa July 29th, 2007 01:53 PM

My homebirth MW also delivers twins - so I would do that or go unassisted.

Lala...

jhmomofmany July 30th, 2007 07:49 AM

I'm pretty sure my midwife would still be there, but if all were normal and healthy I would choose UC over the hospital.

kimberlypatton@msn.com July 30th, 2007 08:47 AM

I didn't realize that some states allow midwives to assist in the homebirth of twins. Had I known I would have put that option in the poll. As far as I know WA state does NOT allow this. I suppose I could have someone who was not licensed to assist since they wouldn't be jeopardizing their license that way. I wonder if a midwife can do it as a friend if they don't accept payment...or would they still be culpable if something went wrong??? Hmmm...lots I just don't know here.

ShawnaCAN July 30th, 2007 01:09 PM

How come a midwife attended homebirth wasn't an option? That's what I'd do. My midwife has no problem delivering twins if it's not your first pregnancy.

Motherbird July 31st, 2007 04:17 PM

I use homebirthing physicians and I think they will do a homebirth with twins, but not totally sure. If not, I'd probably do a midwife-assisted hospital birth, but I wouldn't be happy about it. :frown:

JoyfulChaosMama August 1st, 2007 10:38 AM

Home with my dear midwives. Twins aside, midwifery has no legal status here anyway. Simply having twins would not change my plans.

MissyPrincessEha August 6th, 2007 04:59 PM

I would have them out of hospital. Not sure where or with whom though. :)

Isaeph August 9th, 2007 10:46 AM

I ditto MrsPil.

wonderfullymade August 9th, 2007 02:40 PM

Hey there ladies whom I recognize! I had twins 3 years ago in the hospital and my OB at the time said I should have had them at home with my beautiful midwife friend Yolanda!!! So, I CHOSE #2, only because there was no option for homebirth with a midwife (which is what I would do if I were to do it again) combined with that I did have them in a hospital with an OB - so option #2 was a good middle answer. lol!

Mine were a completely uncomplicated, vaginal birth with no pain medication. The only intervention I had was my labor was started with pitocin, then turned off once I started to pick it up on my own (we had the induction for for medical reasons).