JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Mrs. Pil (steph) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/671402-mrs-pil-steph.html)

CharmieCM August 1st, 2007 06:35 AM

Okay, so last Monday I talked to the nurse and she said everything was fine with my bloodwork and at that point I made the decision that I'd probably have a UC, supported by DH and a friend of mine. However, I guess she failed to tell me that it wasn't ALL in, because she called yesterday to tell me that they found a clotting factor mutation and that they want me to inject blood thinners, take high doses of folic acid and plan a hospital birth. :cry:

I'm not sure what all of this means. I don't know what factor is mutated. I don't understand why I had other normal pregnancies. I don't know what's in the injections and how any of those ingredients might effect the baby (that's DH's biggest concern at the moment). I had to pull over on the side of the road to cry after I got that phone call, but now I'm feeling a little better. I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to follow this protocol, but I'll know more after my appointment this afternoon.

MrsPil August 1st, 2007 04:20 PM

How did they miss this with your last two pregnancies?? I'm so sorry I can't imagine how upset you must be. Are there any sort of homeopathic treatments for the clotting mutation? What factor is it that mutated? I know fifth factor mutation is one of the most common but it would seem unlikely for you to have it since you've had two healthy pregnancies and it wasn't caught until now...

Sorry, I'm sure I'm being nosy but please let me know if there's anything I can do for you! ((hugs))

CharmieCM August 2nd, 2007 06:59 PM

Well, I went for a sonogram and appointment yesterday and I was measuring 1.5 weeks behind...only 4.5 weeks when I'm pretty sure I'm around 6 weeks. And of course, we could only see a sac. So that ended up taking precedence over anything else. The doctor feels that its entirely possible I found out I was pregnant at 2-4 DPO because my HCG was only 12 two weeks ago (was it only two weeks?). He ordered another HCG yesterday and I got the results today...7000, so we're on track, and I have another draw on Friday and then a sonogram on Wednesday...we're hoping to see a BABY at that point. And in the midst of all of this, I'm thinking HOW the HECK did I get HERE?!

I've been reading about the mutated gene I have. I can never remember the exact name, but if you google "methyl folate mutation," it'll turn up what it is. It appears that the type of mutation I have (heterozygous, meaning only one of a pair of genes is mutated) is present in about 44% of the population, and that it really only matters in pregnancy if you have elevated levels of homocystine (or something like that), and that the elevated level can be fixed by a complex assortment of B vitamins and folate in most cases. The OB (I keep typing "my doctor" and deleting it because it just sounds so committed and I'm NOT) said that there's a lot of controversy about treating this mutated factor (and I'm reading that he's absolutely right!), but he feels that given my "history" (of miscarriage before 5 weeks of pregnancy), I should be on the blood thinners for the entire pregnancy, as well as a very high dose of folic acid.

Right now I'm trying to get through the first trimester, to a point where I can actually feel like I'm pregnant and going to have a baby. The birth seems so far off right now, when I'm only supposedly 4.5 weeks along and we can't even see a baby in there, ya know? BUT, after the first tri, I plan to get multiple opinions on whether this should be treated or not, even given my "history." Right now I'm leaning toward not continuing the blood thinners after the first trimester and having an unassisted birth, but I'm not sure how to do that without creating a controversy with "the OB" ;-) and what the safety concerns might be with discontinuing blood thinners.

The good news, at least, is that the type of dose I'm injecting contains zero preservatives, though it is made from pork intestine (gross!!). DH is concerned (and rightly so) about the effect of blood thinners on the baby, especially given that some newborns bleed for no apparant reason even without being exposed to blood thinners for their entire intrauterine life. I haven't found much informaiton on that, though.

And please, don't apologize for being nosy. I really need some sanity in this because I feel like I'm getting sucked into something that I'm not entirely sure is necessary or even helpful, ya know?