JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   first appointment with my mw (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/700852-first-appointment-my-mw.html)

Mommy2Amara&Kayori August 23rd, 2007 01:21 PM

My first appointment is Sept. 4th. I am nervous. Is it just like the regular 1st appointments you do with a doctor or will it be differant?

Twinkle August 24th, 2007 05:01 AM

The first time I met with my midwives (there are two) it was kinda just a meet and greet. We asked questions, I brought my whole family (DH and the kids), so everyone got to know eachother. We don't have our first prenatal till sometime in September.

Mommy2Amara&Kayori August 24th, 2007 12:40 PM

ya I already did my meet and greet and asked tons of questions

my first prenatal is coming up though, and I am not sure what to expect

Twinkle August 24th, 2007 01:41 PM

Oh lol, sorry, I thought I had remembered you having your meet and greet, I obviously posted that too early in the morning, sorry again!

Anyways, I haven't had my first prenatal, but from everyone I've talked to, plan on spending about an hour, midwives take their time!!!

Mommy2Amara&Kayori August 24th, 2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Oh lol, sorry, I thought I had remembered you having your meet and greet, I obviously posted that too early in the morning, sorry again!

Anyways, I haven't had my first prenatal, but from everyone I've talked to, plan on spending about an hour, midwives take their time!!![/b]
lol

I am so excited about having a midwife because they do take there time. With my OB I was in and out in like 5 minutes. I hated that so much

chipko August 24th, 2007 08:41 PM

At my first appointment with my midwife she took my weight, blood pressure, did a urine check and we talked about my previous pregnancy, birth experience, family history, how I was feeling etc. I don't know exactly how that compares to a first appointment with an OB because I've never had and OB prenatal appointment, but the whole thing took about an hour. Hope it works out great!
Gina

kimberlypatton@msn.com August 24th, 2007 11:37 PM

All my prenatal appt's were pretty much the same...lotsa talkin'...LOVE THAT PART, midwife feels baby from the OUTSIDE (I've never had internals at any point in prenatals or during labor), she listens for heart beat with doppler (if it's time to be hearing one), checks mommas blood pressure, urine dipstick...and I think that's all. The first prenatal they'll probably give you a notebook or something similar with all the tests/etc. offered to mommas and explanations of each one so that you can read and make an educated decision about which, if ANY, you decide to do when the time comes. You'll have to sign some here in WA saying that you read and refused, if in fact you refuse it. I didn't do any of the testing EXCEPT GD because I was borderline with my last two. Anyhow...it's all very friendly talky talky time usually for every appt. I always looked forward to all of mine and became quite bonded to my midwife in the process. I think of her more like a friend...

Mommy2Amara&Kayori August 25th, 2007 11:12 AM

awesome

thanks ladies, I am so excited