JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   34 week appointment with the midwives... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/772020-34-week-appointment-midwives.html)

ragmama October 16th, 2007 09:34 PM

I met with both of my midwives on Monday - my main midwife is still working on her certification, so she works with a senior midwife, who I'd only met once prior to this visit. The senior midwife (SM for now) showed up first and really stressed me out a little before the main midwife (MM) arrived. She wanted to talk about nutrition...there's room for improvement there, sure, but it's not like I've been doing horribly. Mostly, she wanted to talk about my glucose levels. She informed me that 120 is normal/average, and that if the number was 140 or higher, she "would not help me have a home birth." She was concerned that my number was "borderline" ... but really, I don't think of 124 as being "borderline" between those two numbers. Made the mistake of asking her about my weight gain (only five pounds in all now) and she told me that it could be several things - could be I'm not eating enough, could be a sign of gestational diabetes. :blink: Anyway...

MM finally arrived and SM started in on her. Asked her if she'd checked hemoglobin/iron yet, and she hadn't. SM said that we had to do it right then because she'd had two moms recently with "no other symptoms" whose numbers were much too low, and that if my number was under 11, she "would not help me have a home birth." Yep, she said it again! So they checked the numbers, and they were just fine - well over 11. The only number that was off for the whole visit was my blood pressure - it was a little high and gosh, I wonder why...

All in all, I was just very, very stressed by the negativity I got from the SM. She calmed down a little after the hemoglobin thing...felt around and determined that baby is transverse, but moving in the right direction - her head is down but still a little left of where it needs to go. She admitted that, although fundal measurement was a bit large for where I am, that the baby "didn't feel like a big baby." And after that, she was just fine and even moderately pleasant. But still, looking back on the whole overtone of the visit - oh my gosh, what is she going to be like when I'm in labor?! I wasn't at all worried about it, and now...I am. I emailed MM with a few other questions and had to ask what SM is like at an actual birth, since she's worked with her before. I'm just praying that she's warmer when there's nothing left to lecture about...

To end with a happier thought - I ordered the birth kit and pool today, so I'm pretty excited about that! DH and I have declared this coming Saturday "Amelia Preparation Day" - since we have essentially done *nothing* to prepare for her arrival. The only big thing to do, really, is bring Rachael's old dresser (the one she used as a baby) back inside from the storage building so I have somewhere to put all these tiny clothes that are busy taking over our bedroom...

Anyway, I just wanted to share my update (and unload a little) here. I really, really wish that MM was fully certified already so we could just have her here...but that's not going to happen. :unsure: At least SM, I presume, will mainly be supervising to be sure all goes well...

Twinkle October 17th, 2007 10:55 AM

I would have been stressed out too if I had been spoken to that way. Ugh, I'm glad that she calmed down towards the end of the visit. I think its definitely a good thing that you've shared your concerns with the midwife you normally see as well.

And I can't wait to hear about how "Amelia Preparation Day" goes!! I can't believe you are already 34 weeks!!

JerseyJess October 18th, 2007 01:06 PM

Sorry SM was so negative. Does she do more hospital than home births? I really hope she's more laidback at the actual birth. Wow, we're due only 4 days apart. I've also done NOTHING yet for this baby-love the idea of a big prep day.

Mommy2Amara&Kayori October 18th, 2007 02:09 PM

I am sorry to hear she was so negative. That would have been stressful. (((HUGS)))

Alison79 October 18th, 2007 04:42 PM

I'm sorry she was so negative during your appointment! I hope your preparation day is lots of fun :D

ragmama October 18th, 2007 09:24 PM

As far as I know, she doesn't do ANY hospital births - home only. Yet she still manages to be very "my way or the highway" about the whole thing, which confuses me...

I talked with MM about it and she said that SM is usually more laid back at the actual birth - and that, just to be on the safe side, we won't be calling her until things are well underway. I *really* appreciated hearing that! :D

Mommy2Amara&Kayori October 19th, 2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

I talked with MM about it and she said that SM is usually more laid back at the actual birth - and that, just to be on the safe side, we won't be calling her until things are well underway. I *really* appreciated hearing that! :D[/b]

I bet that was comforting to hear