JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Can we talk afterpains? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/774603-can-we-talk-afterpains.html)

JerseyJess October 18th, 2007 06:49 PM

Ok, so seriously the only downside to having my last birth at home was that I didn't have access to adequate pain meds afterwards. The actual birth was no prob but I have *never* experienced pain as severe as the afterpains I had with my 4th (and this includes 2 unmedicated pitocin inductions) They lasted for 3 days and were so sharp and stabbing that I couldn't even breathe through them. Last time I took extra strength Motrin-but id didn't touch the pain. Any ideas? Suggestions?

4boys October 18th, 2007 06:55 PM

Jhmomofmany suggested something on another board for this but I can't remember the name. Something-eeze....I will pm her and ask. Because my afterpains after my last one were almost that bad as well and I definitely don't want to go through that again.

ShawnaCAN October 18th, 2007 08:02 PM

I usually go see my doctor and get a prescription of Tylenol #3 for the afterpains. He knows we homebirth and knows what they are for, so has never had a problem giving me the script. He just gives me 10 or so, enough to get through a few days.

Edited to add, I see my doctor several weeks prior to my due date so I already have the prescription on hand and don't need to be running around doing all that after I've just had a baby.

LaLa October 18th, 2007 08:26 PM

I was taking the max ibuprofen (800 mg?) as well as RRL Tea (it helps) and I *believe* an antenatal blend that included black & blue cohosh.

It gets worse with each kid though - whew!

Lala...

ragmama October 18th, 2007 10:28 PM

Oh dear...something else I hadn't considered as I didn't have them with my first (well, not that I noticed, anyway.) I keep hearing they're worse after each child, so I might not be so lucky this time. Good to know what to look for ahead of time!

MrsPil October 18th, 2007 10:41 PM

My afterpains were worse than my whole labor, the best things in the world were my heating pad and a naturopathic tincture for aferpains. I used the Mother's Care Combo from mountainmeadowherbs.com and will use it again every time, it was the best - completely worth every penny!

Motherbird October 19th, 2007 12:50 PM

I agree that a heating pad is essential! Being that this was my 5th baby and I had gotten some pitocin jammed into my leg for excessive bleeding after the birth, I knew they were gonna be bad and they definitely were- felt like labor all over again, maybe worse. It was slightly better if I remembered to take Motrin well before nursing, but many times I was reaching for the bottle as I was in the midst of all that pain which was obviously too late. Those pains alone made me doubt ever having a sixth baby.

4boys October 19th, 2007 02:14 PM

Ok the stuff I mentioned above is called After-Ease, it's supposed to work really well though personally I haven't tried it. So I will look into it for this birth.

Alison79 October 19th, 2007 02:41 PM

I feel so thankful because regular Tylenol took care of the pains for me. The first few days they were pretty uncomfortable (I had pitocin to help with bleeding) but after that they were pretty manageable. I did find that heat make me feel a lot better, too.

JerseyJess October 19th, 2007 03:22 PM

Thanks ladies! I'm just so nervous about it being even worse with #5-I'm definitely looking up that After-Ease.

wifey2kevin October 20th, 2007 09:08 AM

Quote:

I was taking the max ibuprofen (800 mg?) as well as RRL Tea (it helps) and I *believe* an antenatal blend that included black & blue cohosh.

It gets worse with each kid though - whew!

Lala...[/b]
omgoodness!! i'm getting freaked out now. i don't remember having anything hurt after i had kaylynn. and it gets worse with each one?? oh lord!!

4boys October 20th, 2007 09:58 AM

Yes, be prepared!!! After my third I actually went back to the hospital, it was so awful I thought there was something wrong.