JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Co-Op (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1027595-co-op.html)

kristydietsche April 18th, 2008 11:07 AM

Do any of you belong to a Co-op or local support group? Have any of you started your own group? I'm trying to start my own and I'd like to hear what you all think. There's not much to do in our neck of the woods and I'm having a hard time finding things for my kids to do. Any advice is welcome!

thanks!
Kristy

JustAKrazymom April 18th, 2008 11:26 AM

We do..well we started a group almost 2 years ago and we've grown to 41 members, about 1/3 of whom are active in lots of stuff.

Shery April 18th, 2008 12:40 PM

We have two huge co-ops in our town, but we haven't chosen to be a part of them. I guess coming from the school system, my children do no have a desire yet to learn with other kids and other teachers. It's not to say that we will never do it. Also, in order to have children in it, you have to teach a class. I just can't see spending so much of my time at this point preparing for a class that only meets once a week and only last for maybe half of what we consider our school year. The programs here are great, just not for us at this time.

Miguelsmommy April 18th, 2008 03:01 PM

I'm going to be looking into one in a month... 2 weeks at a end-of-the-year picnic they have. It's an hour away though.

cdefgmomma April 18th, 2008 03:38 PM

Yes I am in two groups one a local group and one in my church!

-Tisha- April 18th, 2008 03:42 PM

We'll be joining a support group this year, but not a co-op. That doesn't fit our needs right now. I'm fortunate enough to have several group options to choose from. I'll definitely need some in person support. :lol:

Butter April 18th, 2008 06:33 PM

There are a couple co-ops/support groups here that we are prohibited from joining because we don't subscribe to their exact form of Christianity (or rather they refuse to admit Mormons and Catholics are Christian). The other co-op is really expensive. $200 a class per semester. So we are not members of any co-ops or support groups.

My_Serenity April 18th, 2008 06:45 PM

With Xander being considered an 'accelerated' learner... and he technically shouldn't even be in the school system yet... the homeschool co-ops I've come across have considered him too young. He's only 5... and they only started children at 6. And I'm not sure a co-op is even best for us. I'm very particular about how our children are taught and I don't like the idea of others teaching my children. But I am all for a support group... one where there are outings planned, play dates, parties... I even knew of one who put on play productions and things like that as well.

kristydietsche April 18th, 2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

There are a couple co-ops/support groups here that we are prohibited from joining because we don't subscribe to their exact form of Christianity[/b]
That is exactly the reason we don't join the local group here.

Anyway, thanks for your replies, ladies.

LuvEmm April 18th, 2008 08:24 PM

That stinks Heather! I always hate it when even in hs communities there is religious persecution, instead of understanding that you are a wonderful homeschooling mom who is doing what is best for your family. :rolleyes:

Anyway, for us, no co-ops. Not saying I never will, but probably not with elementary age I don't think. I am part of 4 homeschool support groups. However, it is all through email and I don't know anyone from there a lot. It is mostly there to tell us when the next event is. We just went to our first one the other day. I like support groups okay for the activities and such. There are so many however that there is nearly something every day we could do. I usually just pick and choose, either one thing a week or every other week. Right now she gets enough interaction and she doesn't need a lot of homeschool specific groups right now.

Motherbird April 18th, 2008 08:29 PM

We're in a co-op and love it! It is a Christian group, but they're not super duper strict about it. Honestly, if it weren't for some sort of co-op I don't know if I'd continue homeschooling. I mean I'd want to, but my kids just don't do as well without it. They really do need the interaction with other kids. I suppose that's because they came out of public schools and had gotten used to that. I also don't worry too much about other people teaching my kids. They're all fun classes mostly- cooking, drawing, sewing, etc... We still do all the subjects like math and science, etc.. at home.

Farmers-wife April 19th, 2008 07:28 AM

I moderate an online support network for Christian homeschoolers in the area. Mormons and Catholics are welcomed. Even non believers are welcome. But the fundamental belief that Jesus was born to a virgin, died on the cross and rose again, and through belief in that we are saved will not be disputed. After that, it is a free for all. Birth control or not? Not a salvation issue, discuss to your hearts content. Anyway, it has been called the best thing to happen to homeschooling in N FL in the last ten years. We have about 260 families on the loop. It started with 6. WE share everything. We pass around clothes, curriculum, ideas, prayer requests. Anything you want or need can be given or asked for. It is just a simple googlegroup, email based. We announce field trips or class offerings or political meetings, or even sales at Sam's.

We do not have a co-op. There is talk of people wanting it and I am all for them doing it. I even said I would teach something. But I have just gotten to this point. In the past, friends and I would do small co-ops, taking turns at each others' houses, dividing up the work, but all working together in the same room, at the same time. I have a great curriculum for that you can order, if you are interested I will find out how to order it. It is based on books by Patricia Pollaco that are just amazing. It gives you ideas to incorporate history, art, science, language arts, all based on the story. It even encourages research and reports (platform=privilege). And the best part is that it is for all ages. You just expect more from the 15 yo than you do from the 3 yo.

Butter April 19th, 2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

But the fundamental belief that Jesus was born to a virgin, died on the cross and rose again, and through belief in that we are saved will not be disputed.[/b]
Mormons and Catholics totally and completely 100% believe that. But the two co-ops here who make you sign the statement of faith said that we don't so we weren't allowed to join. It didn't matter that I said we do believe it. They had their minds made up. It's too bad.

Farmers-wife April 19th, 2008 06:33 PM

I am sorry. And it is too bad, for them. I am sure you would have a lot to offer others. Our representative to the statewide homeschool parents association is a Mormon. She and I have had long talks about how the fundamentalists don't want her because she isn't a real Christian and the non religious homeschoolers don't want her because she is religious. She is really stuck. I have never heard of Catholics being singled out. Our Catholics have their own group, but use our network because there is so much information on it.

The stuff going on in TX doesn't help the Mormons, either.

But we are all a little whacked, in some way or another. I can't even fathom trying to understand the mind of God.

Miguelsmommy April 19th, 2008 07:39 PM

That really sucks heather. That's one thing I'm really worried about when I do find a home school group in my area. I hope you find something you like in your area.

LuvEmm April 19th, 2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

I am sorry. And it is too bad, for them. I am sure you would have a lot to offer others. Our representative to the statewide homeschool parents association is a Mormon. She and I have had long talks about how the fundamentalists don't want her because she isn't a real Christian and the non religious homeschoolers don't want her because she is religious. She is really stuck. I have never heard of Catholics being singled out. Our Catholics have their own group, but use our network because there is so much information on it.

The stuff going on in TX doesn't help the Mormons, either.

But we are all a little whacked, in some way or another. I can't even fathom trying to understand the mind of God.[/b]

Just to clarify, you know that the TX FLDS are not Mormons or main stream LDS right? That their beliefs, lifestyle, marriage, etc. is completely different from ours? I know that there are some people that don't know this and can't make the distinction, just wanted to make sure that was not the case here.

Farmers-wife April 20th, 2008 06:17 AM

Yes, I know that. I was just pointing out that it doesn't help the mainstream LDS or look good at all. Just like the people who blow up abortion clinics and shoot doctors doesn't help us fundamentalists, either. You gotta be careful out there!

ragmama April 20th, 2008 08:43 AM

That stinks, Heather. :(

There is a support group here, that plans regular activities for the kids, as well as coordinating yearbooks, proms, etc. I've been receiving their email newsletters for a while, but we're going to start really joining in this fall. :smile:

LuvEmm April 20th, 2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Yes, I know that. I was just pointing out that it doesn't help the mainstream LDS or look good at all. Just like the people who blow up abortion clinics and shoot doctors doesn't help us fundamentalists, either. You gotta be careful out there![/b]

Okay, just making sure. No worries.

KarateMom April 21st, 2008 04:54 AM

We joined a co-op this year and I adore it, as do both of my kids! Reilly has made so many new friends and learned such a wide variety of subjects. I'm sad that next Friday is our last meeting day for the year!