JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Soooo.... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1028916-soooo.html)

Butter April 19th, 2008 01:58 PM

Actually it's the same job but as a federal government employee directly rather than a contractor. If he got the lowest step of the GS level the position is he'll get an immediate $10,000 a year raise. The government people seem to think he already has the job (and several have congratulated him on it lol), but he hasn't gotten the official offer yet. He was asked to apply for it, but the government being the way they are it's always hurry up and wait and wait and wait and wait some more. He'd have to have a longer background investigation before starting so it would be 1 to 1 1/2 months before he'd become government, but that's a good thing since I'd rather not change insurance (again - did that while pregnant with Fritz, too) during pregnancy and since Adrian is due so soon the waiting for now is fine with me.

Anyway, Jamie started a list of what we'll get if he does in fact get that job. We'd also be getting 3 weeks of leave in a lump sum when leaving his old company in addition to the substantial raise, so it was kind of a wish list of what we've wanted but haven't gotten sort of thing. He asked me what I wanted and I said "A really big order of all the fun stuff that I never get from Rainbow Resource!" So that's what he wrote down.

And now I'm REALLY crossing my fingers that he does get to become government. A big order from Rainbow sounds so fun!!!

joandsarah77 April 19th, 2008 02:32 PM

:cheer: Hope he gets the job!

Jenneve April 19th, 2008 03:43 PM

Good luck to Jamie! I hope he gets it!

JustAKrazymom April 19th, 2008 03:52 PM

Good luck! Eric is getting a nice unused vacation time check on Thursday and I've already got a NICE wishlist going..rofl..

Butter April 19th, 2008 03:55 PM

Doesn't it totally say something about me that what I want is school stuff? :lol:

JustAKrazymom April 19th, 2008 03:57 PM

Oh I hear ya.. Eric took the kids to the driving range today then we went and got 2 new salt watr fish and some live rock..I was kidding him that his hobbies cost $$ and what do I do that ever costs money?? He says..well you can DO anything you want dear..and he means it. I said "just keep "letting" me buy my school stuff".. it's what makes me happy! I told him though that doesn't mean it;s my hobby...LOL.I want to hold on to the right to find a real hobby in a few years..LOL

OH~Melissa April 19th, 2008 06:00 PM

dh is government - so I can relate on the hurry up and wait ---- ugh! Then when they make the decision it is back to full speed ahead again. I cant complain about the insurance and benefits - there has to be perks to working ALL the time right?

Shery April 19th, 2008 06:22 PM

Wow..that is so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope everything works out!!

Miguelsmommy April 19th, 2008 07:54 PM

That's GREAT!!!!

LuvEmm April 19th, 2008 11:50 PM

Hope he gets it and a nice 10,000 raise too! And really, I hope my Dh gets his promotion too. ;)

-Tisha- April 20th, 2008 03:04 AM

That's fantastic!! I hope it works out! KUP

KarateMom April 20th, 2008 05:43 AM

That is so awesome, Heather!! I hope it comes through...although, from what you've said, it's all in the bag! YIPPEEE!

~julia~ April 21st, 2008 04:40 PM

That is awesome news!! Good luck!

Butter April 22nd, 2008 08:01 AM

People keep congratulating him on going government and he keeps saying "Am I?" His government bosses have been telling everyone he has this job, but he's had nothing official given to him. Weird but so typical of the government lol

Miguelsmommy April 22nd, 2008 07:02 PM

Hope it becomes official soon.

*Sharon* April 22nd, 2008 07:32 PM

That would be great Heather!

A bit of the opposite of what happened to us when dh started working for the government. I don't remember off the top of my head what GS Noah is, but when he started it was nearly a 10,000 DECREASE for us. But where he was working had merged with Bank of America and the site here closed. So he needed a new job. On top of the decreased salary he also had to travel 1 hour round trip daily instead of 10 minutes round trip daily (and with the price of gas that hurts) and the insurance is more monthly of less coverage than we had at his old job. BUT dh and I are thankful he did get this job. We figured out how much we would have to make to be able to maintain the same lifestyle we had before, but not fix up our house so quickly or pay off the mortgage in 5 years. And his starting salary was almost exactly what we figured out we would need...I think $400 more a year to be exact. So our house isn't being fixed up and we are only paying an extra $50 on the house every month, but we can pay all our bills. So we are very thankful for this job.

MissyPrincessEha April 28th, 2008 02:58 PM

Yea, I bet you post in the future that is is his! :)