JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   watching Tyra (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1032600-watching-tyra.html)

seg79 April 22nd, 2008 08:12 AM

and I am so glad I am chosing to homeschool......I don't know if it's a rerun or what but the audience is highschool kids and their parents......the subject is sex and these kids are having sex IN SCHOOL! Whatever happened to teachers doing their jobs and disciplining??? You couldn't even peck on the cheek in our school.......

Butter April 22nd, 2008 08:14 AM

Wow. IN school?!?!

-Tisha- April 22nd, 2008 09:33 AM

It really doesn't surprise me! It's VERY sad! :(

joandsarah77 April 22nd, 2008 02:12 PM

Doesn't surprise me either, I heard that kids were doing oral sex in the bathrooms and even on school bus's some time ago. Which is why I constantly harp at whoever will listen is that schools have INADEQUATE SUPERVISION!!

4boys April 22nd, 2008 05:07 PM

Sounds like some inadequate parenting too, IMO. If the parents taught their kids to behave then it wouldn't matter so much if there was supervision or not. That's really awful though.

Miguelsmommy April 22nd, 2008 07:01 PM

Happened all the time in my school! I would have graduated in 2002, most students where pregnant with 1st or 2nd or already had kids. They thought by getting rid of the teen parenting program it would lower it completely not true. By getting rid of that program they had to provided home tutors and had tons of lawsuits because of the inability to provide for the students. I had dropped out by this time. Luckily, by the time my sister got there it was less then 20% 2007.

LuvEmm April 23rd, 2008 07:09 PM

I had heard that that goes on awhile back. Not to mention, when I was really getting into deciding to fully commit myself to homeschool, a bunch of my neighbors and friends were sending their little off to Kindergarten. After 3 days it became apparent that ALL of the kids were kissing on the bus. Then later that week, the boys were pulling off their pants and showing the girls. Good families, good kids and GOOD parents. The parents sat down and taught their kids what was and was not appropriate. However, it is unfortunate that those kids ended up on the bus with kids who told them what they should do and the same thing on the playground. The supervision is inadequate and its leaderless children who leave their parents too early, kind of skews up the values of the family IMO.

4boys April 23rd, 2008 10:08 PM

^^ I agree. For smaller kids, they are easily influenced. But I would think teenagers would know better.

Shery April 24th, 2008 06:12 AM

It doesn't surprise me at all considering that here, in our local schools, there have been at least three teachers fired for sexual text messages to students. It's all over the place, and it makes me sick. Yes, I know my children may be exposed to it to some extent anyway in other settings, but not on a daily basis. We even had some some children suspended a few years ago from the middle school that my children would have been attending for having oral sex out on the playground. The sad thing is that even the children not involved were victims for seeing it. It makes me sick!!!

LuvEmm April 24th, 2008 09:46 AM

Yeah, it makes me sick too. And yes, all of our children will be exposed to things at some point. It is unavoidable in this day and age, but for my kids, they won't be exposed to it because I SENT them to a place where it all happens on a daily basis. I feel the job of parents isn't sheltering kids, because that is living in the world makes that nearly impossible. But it is our job to keep them from the things we know are bad and know happen. And IMO school has all the things they don't need- academically speaking as well.

Oh, yeah and here recently a 3rd grader brought a gun to school. Humm...

Shery April 24th, 2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Oh, yeah and here recently a 3rd grader brought a gun to school. Humm...[/b]
BB pistols were caught at two different schools here yesterday. They were toy pistols, but ones that could potentially kill!!!!! "sigh"

joandsarah77 April 24th, 2008 02:10 PM

I just found out what a BB gun was a couple of nights back watching Border Control. That is a reality tv show, showing the real Austraian customs. As you might know ours is probably the strictist in the world to keep out all kinds of diseases that we don't have amoung other things. So anyway BB guns are illegal over here....not that you can't get them of course. I just did an internet search and found people talking about were to get them. Then someone asked about shipping from America, obvously he doesn't watch border control!

Quote from Australian customs- "Importers need to be aware that the importation of such goods is an offence under the Customs Act with a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and/or a fine of $275,000." :o http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=3899 Dh said when we were watching, "they get more for a BB gun then for murder!" Well not quite, but wow that is some fine for rubber bullets.

Miguelsmommy April 24th, 2008 06:11 PM

In our school (here where we live now) a teacher was shot and stabbed in front of fifth grade by her soon to be ex husband. The husband later committed suicide in a police stand off. This was back in February of this year. It really got me mad everyone was saying "This isn't suppose to happen here!" It made me want to ask where it was suppose to happen.

You would think teens woulds know better but when raised in that environment from young you see nothing wrong with it. Parents had no idea that for those 6 years the kids ruled the school. Then the parents would turn to the students and ASK if dress code was needed, random drug tests were needed, or if we should have book bags. We all knew we dressed inappropriate, if they did random drug tests at least one of our friends would be caught if we weren't doing drugs, and no book bags meant very few places to hide drugs when the dogs were there.

Our first health class was spent many realizing they've already slept with most of there class The simple little tree that says is you sleep with 2 people and each has one previous partner that in the end instead of just that one person you've actually slept with 60+ people. Just like DARE it was suppose to be "so don't do it", most heard "I've already slept with everyone". 7th grade health class was a disaster. Now some did wait until later.

Guess what our parents looked at... their income and our test scores and decided there couldn't be a problem. Meanwhile they'd have dogs go through our school 2x a moth hoping to get enough to convince parents. The parents couldn't head the problem because they had no idea. The school didn't know how to address it. It just was really bad. I was only there until end of tenth.

It's really sad that my college was less sexually active then my high school NOT that college should have been more but middle / high school should have less.

seg79 April 26th, 2008 08:21 PM

that stuff just never happened in my school....i mean i lived in a small town....it could be different now....the town has grown alot! one of the girls on the show said that a sub fell asleep and a girl gave a guy oral in the classroom!!!!! It made me want to vomit! No wonder STDs are running rapid! These kids seem to think theyre invinciable

MissyPrincessEha April 27th, 2008 08:33 AM

Yea...it happens because it just isn't natural to have that many children around the same age together with 1 person supervising (2 in very rare cases). That one person does not have what it takes to teach academic basics and the values of being a little girl or a little boy. :(

My husband attended a public shool in Florida for a year...the kids would get in a circle so the other two could have sex. *sigh* He couldn't wait to get out of there...he was very out of his element. :(